ATWT LEGEND KATHRYN HAYS PASSES AWAY

• Members

From Alan Locher's FB page

https://www.facebook.com/TheLocherRoom/posts/523319952683565?__cft__[0]=AZXcoULDYUAM00rAuXhGH9qr9pIlb3a_Bv8stMrLxnzw4LMrJaOzLgF_lGn5pGOykDBQdBzR1XSxIEczRlnrUjXPIJ7mpehtUNzlNTIhIuyVNfd0TrS_IN2DyJApgUPwnK3OtI2St9Ch4CA8BT7mNW_-z13RUbidoC2NZ-yifyx5LMdy2vGGYBQsGuZAIVk5lL4&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

Please read this message from Kathryn Hays daughter, Sherri Hays Mancusi to all of you.

People often ask me what it was like to grow up with "a famous actress for a mother". My usual reply was that I didn't grow up with a famous actress for a mother. I grew up with my mom for a mother. When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time hanging out on soundstages, backstages and in control rooms while she worked. We always had my grandparents nearby in case she had to travel for work. But when she came off the set or walked in the door, she was Mom and acting was the job she left behind. She loved me unconditionally, she was my biggest fan, but she set boundaries and she got on my case if my grades went down. As good moms do. That's why I cherish this picture - it was taken by my mother's oldest friend on the front lawn of her house. No one was wearing makeup, that's just how my mother looked and dressed around the house. And if we look like good friends in that picture, it's because we were. And although she never called me "Toots" or "Kiddo" or "Pal", she put a lot of herself into the character of Kim. So I understand why you all loved her and why she had a big effect on people over the years. Because I loved her, too and did my best to be like her. So thank you for sharing your memories of her , because we will miss her, too.

Edited by dragonflies

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

i was privileged (and lucky) to meet her twice — at the paley center event in 2010, and in 1996, when i was on the set covering the 40th anniversary episode. 

we finished the interview. but a bit later, she tracked me down to make sure she had told me about the huge crush she had on don mclaughlin when she join the show, as indeed she had. 

• Members

I thought this video I watched today was a good tribute to Kathryn Hays as Kim. I'll probably get around to watching the '97 special episode starring Gillian Spencer at some point. I wish there was a good quality version of that famous scene with JWS where she finds his shrine to her.

• Members

Elsewhere some of us were fondly recalling some of her signature phrases, like "kiddo," "Toots!," and to John Dixon repeatedly in one episode, "Pal, do you remember me?" Then someone thought of a talk show appearance when she warned Maura that she'd better not hurt Scott. Mama Bear! They were engaged at the time.