Days of Our Lives: March 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

John was literally the only one with a sense of urgency on it lol.  Even Marlena's own children were like, "I'm sure John will figure it out"

Please register in order to view this content

It was much easier to make Stefano a big bad all over town because he had hands in a lot of stories via the mass amount of Brady's, their spouses/offspring, and his own children.

Orpheus always had a very specific role as an ISA agent gone bad over grief from his wife's death.  He's not supposed to a full on psychopath they way he is now.

• Members

I mean, in theory they could set up someone like Orpheus to have beefs with more people in town - or for that matter take (or create) another character that systematically is "betrayed" by everyone else to the point of being villainy against all of Salem. But that takes character-building over several months, if not years and soaps have become all about quick pay-offs.

(Ironically, I've argued that I've actually not minded Sarah being a loose end because it was a good opportunity to build up Xander having a new relationship and could set up a proper long-term triangle that's more grey than a black-and-white so-should-be-with-so triangle, but besides having the patience of keeping Sarah off the canvas for a year I'm not exactly impressed with how they've handled it.)

• Members

What is the point of turning Days into a joke where nobody is laughing? There is nothing soapy about the show.
Has RC given up on trying to deliver a real storyline. I used to love his early OLTL and GH, the problem is that he never did any "early Days". The Sarah stupidity is tackier than the character names on Ambitions.   

• Members

One of the main problems with Orpheus is he was gone for a long time and his main bad deed (kidnapping and faking Marlena's death) was undone and retconned to make Stefano the person who kidnapped Roman, Marlena, and brainwashed John.  So like how scary is Orpheus?  He has literally succeeded at nothing lol.  His plots suck.

If they brought Orpheus back earlier (say early/mid 90's) I think he would have been established as a better villian.  But again, he and Stefano fill the same role as far as their arch enemies.  I still think Orpheus could have been Jarlena's big bad and worked with Stefano and Stefano could have branched out to play villian to other characters while still being a thorn in Marlena/John's side.

Anyhow, that didn't happen and now we are stuck with a minor villian from 1986 trying to fill a role he just can't because no work was put into Orpheus's characterization.  He's better than Clyde Weston, but only slightly.

• Members

With both Ron and Jamey Giddens on the writing team? Realistically, they'll never accept the 80s are over so you might as well give them advice to at least make it somewhat believeable (if not out-dated story trope).

It's like when they brought back Larry Welch back in the early 2000s when Joe Mascolo was off the show. It didn't work and yes, they maybe they should just retire the concept of a super villain, but if they need to go there, at least have them build up proper resentments toward the town instead of essentially just twirling their mustache for shits and giggles.

• Members

I think we could still have 80s like adventures on soaps, look at Beyond Salem.

The problem is that with all this Saranee crap, there's too many holes in plot and in characterization and the explanations as to why things are happening the way that they are, are just going to be so weak and thrown together that anyone watching is going to see right through them and criticize the storyline.

Regardless, I still think Ron has some writing talent. What I don't understand is why is he's constantly shooting himself in the foot.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I was totally thinking about that random Larry Welch appearance too-which I didn't hate lol.  Anyhow, l agree.  People like Larry Welch and Orpheus had/have potential, but Days brought both of them back decades too late.  It almost ties into this Sarenee stuff because the writers think that because they were a great villian once it will work again without doing any work or thinking how they will fit on the canvas.   I don't know, I am not sure if we should retire the supervillian, but we have multiple silly villians right now:  Kristen, Orpheus, Clyde, the Devil and to a lesser extent Ava/Gwen.  It's too much.  The Devil should be wreaking much more havoc than it is worrying about Dimera and stupid Gabi/Jake.   JoDevil isn't even scary and Kristen is apparently super human and unstoppable.

• Members

I stopped watching Y&R on my lunch break (I’ve finally reached my breaking point as a loyal viewer), but the devil stuff is soooooo bad on DAYS. It’s unwatchable. I have no clue why they decided to drag it out for so long. It doesn’t work as humor or campy horror or anything.

• Members

Anyone who defends Days should watch today's show and realize why it has become the joke of daytime. The show is ridiculous. It is soooooo bad. Cringeworthy. I don't know what else to say other than I agree with so many comments above. I get that a soap has to be out there at times because they are on 5 days a week. But I have never seen Days this bad. I can't even chuckle anymore at Susan, who use to be entertaining but is now just annoying. And Johnny as the devil is so stupid. Not entertaining at all. Days has become a show that we're all laughing at because it is so BAD. New writers, ASAP. 

• Members

Just before the new possession started, Days was terrible, but still somehow it was heads and shoulders above the other soaps. It almost seemed a little like a soap. I'd ask what drugs Ron suddenly got into, but I think they're endogenous.