Greatest Time Period/Era for each soap

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

GL: 1980-85.  Marland thru 1st Long era.  In-between was a transitional period, but I'd include it.

AW: 1985-87. Gary Tomlin thru Margarette DePriest.

GH: 1981-1986.  Bid adventure, big romance.  Memorable characters and couples you wanted to root for.

• Members

GH: 1981-87 Gloria Monty Years; 1993-1999 Wendy Riche Levinson/Labine/Guza years. 

Y&R: 1989-2001 solid storylines, directing, very character driven as well, great attempts at cast diversity.

OLTL 1992-1995: Michael Malone Years: Marty Rape, Viki DID, Hank Vietnam/FBI; Victor Lord murder Trial

ATWT: 1985-93 Doug Marland Years: large multi generational cast

DAYS: 1993-1999: Marlena possession, Sami/Lucas/Austin/Carrie, John & Marlena's affair; Bo & Hope; Stefano

B&B: 1989-93; 1997-2002

Edited by ironlion

• Members

94-96 weren't terrible but they didn't have as much momentum as the eras that preceded and succeeded them. In watching old episodes I find my attention being held more by the years I listed.  The mid 90s is where we saw Taylor being "dead", Brooke going mad in Barbados etc.. Plus '93 is where we saw the transfer of head writer from Bill Bell to Brad Bell. 

Up to 93 Bold was strong with Sheila's introduction, the BeLief formula, Bridget's paternity and Brook & Eric's marriage. After 97, there was Sheila really going mad  with her exit story, and re introduction in 2002. We got Brook's bedroom, her marriage with Thorne vs Macy, crossovers with Y&R, as well as Rick/Amber/Kimberly and Deacon. 

Y&R also had a minor slump around this time. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

People often ask me to specify my personal favorite soap opera of all time, or the single best daytime drama of all time, but those are tricky questions to answer. Daytime serials routinely have major ups and downs throughout their lifetimes, and all the long-running shows have had both stellar years and painfully-subpar years. My own favorites are whatever soaps are beautifully done at any given time. My favorite soap in, say, 1976 is not necessarily still my best-loved program in 1980. It all depends on the writing, producing, and actors/characters involved at the moment.

• Members

I did not see Agnes Nixon's run or the first half of Harding Lemay's but there is no denying they were the greatest time periods / eras for Another World. 

I watched from 1977-96 and occasionally from 1996-99.  December 1982 - Summer 1985 is my favourite time period.  Dorothy Ann Purser & Robert Soderberg and then Richard Culliton & Gary Tomlin managed to successfully create new characters (Felicia, Cass, Wallingford, Carl, Catlin), families (Love, McKinnon), expand diversity (Lily, Carter, Grant, Abel), tell more modern stories and also keep the core families (Cory, Matthews, Ewing) front and centre. I recently rewatched the available episodes on Youtube and they hold up well. 

Edited by Efulton

• 1 year later...