All: character may be killed off

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I often think both Ron and Brad don't endear themselves to the audience when they seek to trick us, rather than surprise us.  Nobody wants to feel either stupid or duped.

Ron in particular never writes a mystery where the audience is in on the secret that the characters have to figure out, and I think it alienates his base.

• Webmaster

No worries. It's understandable.

Just to clarify though, I know the same image was shared from a tweet earlier in the thread but that's outside of the message board's jurisdiction. We don't allow any media to be uploaded to this site's server that's under copyright by a publication or production company.

Thanks for understanding.

• Members

It’s not even worth getting mad about. 

I hate the idea that “this was our only option”. If you’re creatively bereft maybe. But Abigail and Chad have had such an up and down relationship is it really out of the realm of possibility that she’d leave him? Come up with a reason for her to exit. You can wring just as much drama out of a relationship ending as you can a murder, it depends on how well the story is told.

Death is the highest stake in any drama and a well Days goes to on a weekly basis. How can anyone invest in this nonsense? How can they enjoy writing it?

• Members

Now that we're pretty sure she doesn't get DECAPITATED, I don't really mind this. The issue with Will's death was that he was the first major gay character on the show and we watched him be brutally murdered. Abigail being found dead? Meh. I know they're trying to make it seem permanent, but they already had her "die" in a plane crash in 2016, so... whatever. 

They've been writing a part-time Abigail for like six years on and off. Ciara being part-time has held Ben hostage and resulted in a [!@#$%^&*]-ton of scenes where it's just the two of them in bed or "schmoopy"-ing each other. Sami's ins and outs are causing them to twist stories and characters into pretzels constantly. I have no idea how they're going to navigate Will being on recurring, but I'm sure it'll become exhausting at some point. So whatever. "Kill" her off for now, if they want to write for Chad. Frankly, I'd just have written him out, too, since J&J's family seems to be naturally receding from focus, but if they wanna write for him... whatever. 

Now, will the story be well written? Probably not. And will she be back? Of course she will. I long ago stopped taking any grief seriously on this show, which is part of a larger problem. But if they aren't chopping off the head of a legacy character, I'm just kind of meh on the whole thing.

Edited by Michael

• Members

DAYS should embrace the part-time actors - Port Charles 13-week stories was actually a good idea, but not always executed well.

As an hour show, DAYS can embrace something similar - core contract players on for consistency and then have 8- 13- or 16-week contained stories that involve these part-timers. To some extent, DAYS production model already forces odd continuity - cliffhanger than that story isn't seen for 2 or 3 episodes, etc.

No death on DAYS matters - it can't with the continually revivals. If neither actor wanted to play Abby, there's certainly enough material to craft a viable split with Chabby - send her off to Boston, etc. Let Chad move forward and, if the character is needed, bring back one of the actors or recast. It's pretty basic soap stuff.

• Members

Kate Mansi left in spring 2020, when Abigail went off to the treatment facility, and Marci Miller didn't return until Sept 2020. Marci wasn't on contract when she returned, and then they wrote her out for months during 2021 to accommodate her maternity leave. Abigail was "in Boston helping pack up Laura's [!@#$%^&*]" for all of summer 2021. She's only been back on-air (and on contract) since Sept 2021. 

Edited by Michael