All: character may be killed off

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Who?

Jack only has ONE child, in Ron's eyes. The shitty retcon named Gwen! (This all pisses me off. Not because I am any big fan of Abigail's, but Ron could have EASILY recast the role again. He has already killed Laura Horton, Adrienne Johnson, Bill Horton, and David Banning off screen.)

He's a f-u-c-k-i-n-g lazy hack that kills characters for short-term shock value with no thought to the future.

Say what one will about Abigail, but she was born on this show and grew up on this show, and that fact that useless pets like Gwen stick around is just insulting.

• Members

His interview was such garbage. He doesn’t give one sh.it about legacy characters. His literal specialty for like a decade now is to bring back long time characters just to kill them. Or kill off long time characters off screen for…literally no reason. I’m shocked he hasn’t killed off Don Craig or did he?

• Members

He uses it's all fiction as his excuse for his horrible writing. 

He doesn't know how to write an even decent story. He is a hack writer simple put.

Like everyone has pointed out deaths on Days are meaningless. There is no point in having them.

• Members

As far as I know, Don is still in limbo. But based on Sarah and Maggie talking about him upon Sarah's initial return to the show, it sounds like Ron killed Neil Curtis off, off screen, too. (The talk of Sarah having his stethoscope, etc.)

As I said, Ron is a lazy hack.

• Members

THIS!

Please register in order to view this content

When Marci left the first time and Kate returned for 3 months to wrap [!@#$%^&*] up, Ron tried to replace her with Sarah as the show’s premiere heroine and it. did. not. work.  However, like @Michael said, Abby hasn’t had the presence TPTB has wanted to give her as the female lead because of Kate and Marci’s pretty limited availability.  Kate was obviously block taping during her six month 2019/20 return and Abby was so islanded and felt pretty superfulous.  Then when Marci shockingly came back, all momentum was lost with her maternity leave… but all year, Abby/Marci has been front and center and SHINING.  It makes it even more tragic to lose her now.  And how much notice did they have?  Because Abby should’ve had scenes with at least D&J, Gabi, WilSon, Ben, and Tony & Jake (harking back to Andre & Stefan) to make this hurt more.  And how are you gonna do an Abby whodunnit without Gabi as a viable suspect?!?  Lol.

I am leveled.  I know she’ll inevitably be back, but this is so unnecessary.  Not only is she a legacy character born on-screen, she’s the show’s only enduring young heroine since Belle.  And especially with Kate (though I personally prefer Marci—it’s a long, complicated story lol), Abby is truly a FORCE on this show with so much reach. I don’t know what the real motivation is because RC has clearly been so invested in her, but I guess this is his fickle dumbf*ckery coming through.

I know many have been citing Victoria Konafel/CIN as a comparison, but I don’t think this is a situation where TPTB were unwilling to work with Marci/Kate, I just think accommodating their availability came to its natural end… this honestly started in 2015 when Kate extended her run to co-headline the 50th with Chad/Ben and B&H and then she appeared sporadically until summer 2016.  They just didn’t have to kill her—if they thought recasting was that risky, ship her off.  Billy Flynn is lucky TPTB value him enough to not sunset Chabby like in Feb. 2019 (should they have just stayed off canvas since??—that was one of the show’s lovelier sendoffs.)

I also wonder if Missy was unavailable or if she boycotted??  It’s a real shame and mistake to phase out J&J’s family—for years, Jennifer/Abby/JJ were the heart of the show (TomSell’s most successful creative decision) and kept Tom & Alice’s legacy alive and thriving in that house.

I’m crushed, and I’m even more disappointed because my interest in the show had been so revived by Zach Tinker as Sonny.

Also, how much does TPTB hate Lucas?!?  Omg lolol.

• Members

Yeah, Neil was the reigning doctor at the hospital at one point, not to mention having had the requisite affairs and marriages (one to Gloria Loring's Liz Chandler - whom is the mother of Sarah's half-sister, Noelle, whom Ron had sleep with Rex off screen, thus Sarah and Rex splitting [then there is the whole Mimi mess, but anyway...].

And Jo Johnson - Jack, Steve, and Adrienne's mother - seemed to have unrequited feelings for Neil, too.

Then the actor, Joe Gallison, and the character of Neil Curtis just sort of faded away in the early '90s or so, much like Jed Allan/Don Craig, did before him.

• Members

Eh, I wouldn't compare killing off Bill and Neil to killing off Abby and Laura - in the former cases we're talking about characters that had been off the canvas for decades and the most recognizable actors either stopped acting or passed on. I'm fine with them confirming what came of those characters since 80-year-old Bill Horton and Neil Curtis aren't going to drive a story and a huge point of veterans on the canvas is that we feel connected to the characters AND the actors. And DAYS has, to be fair, plenty of veterans that do get storylines.

Killing off Laura was dumb because she has so many connections on the canvas and has a recognizable actress who has played her for 25+ years that clearly was willing to do the show every now and then when needed. Abby is dumb because it's short-sighted and they'll likely undo it the minute Miller or Mansi needs pocket-change.

Edited by te.

• Members

But who's to say Bill and/or Laura Horton could not also have come back and have a story under a COMPETENT writer? (I know, ageism is rampant in soaps, but even Doug/Julie get C-level stories now and then!)

The actor that played Bill at Alice's funeral in 2010 did a remarkable job - even realistically having no prior history to draw upon. And I recall many had wished the show had used that actor and brought Bill back to interact with Kate, etc.

Whether the characters were driving story or gone for a while, killing legacy characters for no real reason is stupid, and just further decimates the show.

• Members

DAYS' foolishness should still be GH's gain IMO. Marci is too talented for this show, I've always said so, but tbh if she's gonna make it outside of daytime it will likely need to be soon. There's even money that that won't happen (sadly for her), and if it doesn't a smart GH could snap her up as Serena Baldwin, cosmetics wunderkind. But they won't.

• Members

Who knows if Marci even wants to act anymore? The reason they're killing her off is because she can't commit full-time, so either she wants to spend more time with her kids, or she might be looking into other career options (which isn't uncommon with actors that haven't made it big time in that age-range).