Days of Our Lives: December 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

I would assume almost everyone would agree with you.  I am not saying some of them couldn't have come back, but the whole fake out was stupid.  There was no investment if no one died.  I think I would have kept most of them dead tbh.  Maybe not Alice or Doug, but I don't know.  I don't think it was a killing of Maureen death knell of the show.  But hindsight is 20/20 and it's hard to say without truly knowing the original plan.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, let's put it this way: I wouldn't say "no" to a story like Vincent/Valerie, because, as I've learned, you never shut off any creative avenues.  (Except, of course, when those avenues lead to literal demonic possession.  That's simply a bridge too far for me.).  But you damn well better believe I'll do everything in my power to see that a story about an intersexed blackmailer who gets pregnant by their own father is told with the utmost class and sensitivity.

And yes, I wrote that last sentence with the straightest of straight faces.

All I can say is, compare the Salem Stalker to the "LOVING Murders," and I say THAT as someone who never liked that storyline OR the ones responsible for it.

• Members

LOL!!

Exactly.  The grisly murders were awful enough.  The big "PSYCH!" at the end just made things worse.

I loved almost all the SSK victims for nostalgic reasons, but if I had been in JER's tight-fitting, Catholic shoes, I wouldn't have undone any of the murders.  Not even Doug's or Alice's.  The audience has to believe that what they're seeing on-screen is really happening.  Otherwise, like you've said, @carolineg, they just can't invest themselves; and if you can't get your audience to invest in the stories you're telling, then what the hell are you doing telling them?

But, you know, I don't believe it took much arm-twisting to convince JER to scrap his original plans for the SSK story, because I don't think he cared much at all about what happened to DAYS or even to PASSIONS by that point.  He was likely too burnt out, too sick of network interference, and too overwhelmed by his personal issues to give much of a [!@#$%^&*] about how the writing looked.

Edited by Khan

• Members

In retrospect I agree.

At the time I thought the shock value had a purpose. I put JER on a pedastal because of my own experience coming up with the show, not 100% caring what it was before (Days has seen many 'eras') and loving the semi-gothic tone and (overly) simple crafting of story that appealed to base level consumers because, let's face it, that's the purpose of soaps. All else aside, he understood the hook.

In 2003, Days was in it's 2,497th plan for salvation and he went cheap to get eyeballs. I thought there would be a purpose to the death. A man like JER who laid pieces in place months, sometimes years in advance? I couldn't fathom a "faithful" man like him would go macabcre just for the sake of being macabre but, again, I didn't factor in Passions, the time that had passed or the rose colored glasses I viewed my own Days experience through.

In the end JER fell victim to his own ego and distorted thinking.

Edited by KLN

• Members

One thing about JER is when he went for a story-he went for it. And I respected that.  Melaswen absolutely became such a cop out.  Perhaps he wasn't 100% invested in the end, but the story was built around Marlena and we know he was invested in her.  I would have rather he went for it and it be reviled then to back out and it still be reviled you know?

Again, we will never know what he had planned for the story.  For all we know it could have been a worse trainwreck, but I doubt it.

I will say I was majorly disappointed with his second run because I had such high hopes and knew he loved characters I loved.   Did he do the Alex North stuff?  I think so and that is unforgivable lol.  Also, I won't even start with Marlena's pregnancy.  It's too traumatizing for me to re-live ...

• Members

Totally.

I gave Passions up a few months in but I remember the two-face "He/She" serial killer who had sex with his/her brother and got pregnant with his/her dad's baby.

I saw bits of that here and was mortified.

Theresa was nuts from day one.

Please register in order to view this content

"I'm going to marry him!"

Biiiitch.

Edited by KLN

• Members

Yes, Deidre looking fantastic in that story  Last time I have liked her hair.  She looked gorgeous.  Not young enough to make me believe she was still ovulating, but really pretty.

Neither here nor there, but I actually think the show made Marlena too old when she debuted to pair her with Don.  She was a full on respected psychiatrist in 1976 and then she had to play her 40's for like 20 years to make everything work in a logical timeline.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

No that was Carrie, silly.  Sami didn't become the main heroine until like 2000 when Austin decided to fall in love with his stalker and so did half the men in Salem.

Sorry, Never Say Never DEE!

That movie and picture still makes me laugh out loud and we have discussed it at length, but I love it.  Apparently 60 year old Roman had strong sperm and Marlena still had a fertile uterus.  I can't believe superstud John only impregnated her once.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Lindsay gave everything to that crazy bitch.

Please register in order to view this content

If they ever give Brady a new love interest I'd be down for pretending Arianna had a different face and give Lindsay another go. She was one of the few bright spots of Passions for me, maybe the only bright spot.

Edited by KLN

• Members

You know, given how popular Sami/AS was in the '90's, I wouldn't be surprised if Corday/Sony/NBC didn't at least consider spinning her off onto her own show.  Especially after her schemes against Austin and Carrie were exposed.  That would have been the perfect opportunity for her to leave Salem and start over in a new town as a single mom trying to change her ways.  You could have even had her become the Carrie in a new triangle with a guy from a prominent family in town and another girl who schemes, like Sami did in Salem, to keep them apart.