General Hospital October 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Having been on a OLTL Classic binge, I think we can fairly put him down on the Top 5 of male soap actors who have had the most hairstyle changes - the very good (loved the early 2000s!), the bad and whatever this is which I assume has to be a character choice. A weird character choice.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think it's to help distinguish him from Franco, because there's sure not any difference with the writing or the acting. Austin is just Franco with a weird man bun and a medical degree. He's so pointless, and whatever they're trying to do with him and Maxie is awful. I'm so annoyed when he's on my screen, lol. I just don't see what potential there is for this character, he's just totally DOA for me.

• Members

I mean he wouldn't be my first choice in the GH cast but, whatever else one might say about him, WR is an attractive man.
I wouldn't sleep with him though because I bet he is the kind of guy who makes a big convulsing grunting production that last a couple of minutes when he cums. 
You know... the Julliard orgasm.

Please register in order to view this content

Those who've had one of those lovers will know what I mean.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

10-19

This might be scattershot.

GH is so weird sometimes. The week before it was so lackluster in a 'throw it at the wall, see what sticks' kinda of way, this week everything is just converging nicely if abruptly.

Like this race to save Drew. While I loved everyone (especially Anna/Scorpio and Jason/Britt) realizing where he is and Dr. O is and heading to Greece, it also felt weirdly abruptly rushed. So much stuff going on and taking in and twists (Ugh at Peter kidnapping Dr. O still-please let her be the one to kill him in the end and brainwashing Drew-with the totally gratuitous stripping off of clothes reveal), it could be dizzying.

Meanwhile, I do love that how MB is playing Sonny right now. It's like for all of him saying he's Sonny, it's clear he's been very 'Mike as Sonny' vs just old school Sonny. Signs here or there, but he's so still dealing with Nixon Falls and his adventures there. And that was the kind of fallout (if they were going to rush that) that I was looking for. I still expect him to just have a moment and passionately kiss Nina. You can't be this whole other person, fall in love with someone, and those feelings just stop. And that's how I feel MB is playing it and I like that. And because he's playing that I feel Sonny and Nina NOW have some subtle chemistry. 

And meanwhile...who is this guy stalking Curtis and TJ. Hmmmm. I am liking this build as well. But I don't what is up with casting news on the guy.

And *swoon* at the Spencer and Trina the other day as she let him have it. And POOF! gone. And I found the Ava/Portia talk explaining why we are not seeing Trina clusmy. Do like we are getting into the 'Mother against Love Interest' story everyone called. But Spencer and Trina have so much potential for conflict built in. Love it. 

Loving Anna and Valentin together. But I stay loving it when Anna kicks butt.

• Members

10-26

Well, at least it wasn't Austin. RME.

That said...as soon as Gladys mentioned she was doing recordings, I knew where things were going with Brooklyn and Maxie. Ugh. I would have rather see her as a mob moll by Novak. But alas.

I got to give the writers some credit though. Interesting to see this rift going on between Michael and Willow. I like seeing Michael Quartermaine out of his shell and making trouble for Nina. Perhaps it will amount to something. 

MB is still doing good. I really don't see Sonny in any of these scenes since Nina was arrested or even when he bought Julian's bar. I just see Mike in a really nice suit. And I like that the writers appear to be going into the pyschological effects of Sonny being a whole other person. Even better cuz Carly is getting a hint of this...and is not trusting her gut. She is going to lose it when she finds out about them in Nixon Falls.

Regardless of real life events, I am at least loving Britt/Jason still. Though I feel like the Greece trip has officially stalled after the abrupt rush to get to it that still worked in terms of momentum. 

Are the writers really planning on something with Liz and Jeff Webber? Hmmm...?

• Members

THANK YOU. I couldn't find the right words to describe what I meant earlier. Abrupt was the best I could thin of watching them. But YES...that's how I've been feeling playing catch up for the last two weeks. 

Because the soapy elements are there. And there are pieces that I've been liking (Mike aftereffect, Brooklyn vs Austin, the hint of Michael Quartermaine, the stalker fallout, the mystery man who I am thinking is Curtis's Dad?) and the builds in parts have been soapy. But it's like...the writers are painting by number or just not feeling what they are writing right now because when they are feeling it, there's a flow, momentum, motivation that weaves in and out that it really has not been. And in some cases (for me, I'm looking at specifically how MB has been playing Sonny currently in my viewing), it's been up to the actors selling what is on paper. Some (imho MB is with Sonny, I would say MW as Ava since the stalker reveal and loving how she is being weaved into the Sonny/Nina storyline as well) are selling it. And others are not. Like I like the new development with this growing rift with Michael and Willow now that Michael Quartermaine is in the motherfrakking house...but I guess the actor/actress have mostly (for now) not sold me on it. For me, it's still the possibility of what he DID. The writing on the page. But it has no subtlety and worse...very little energy to it. Yet. 

• Members

@TaoboiI have been criticizing the show for this for the last 5 years or so.  At first I thought it was just her usual snooze fest, bland and generic style of writing when Passanante was HW.  But it continued until the current writers took over.  I think they have tried several things that sound great on paper, and I love the classic storytelling they are clearly writing- it just isn’t making it onscreen.  You can tell when they have been derailed by production- the dropped plotlines and characters, the propping of certain actors forcing story directions, etc.  There are times when it is almost good on paper, but the execution is lacking and I have decided the blame lies at Frank/production’s feet.  It’s like he decided that they were going to underplay everything from now on, and none of it will ever be fun.  Guza was bleak AF and there was still more life.

I remember thinking when Ryan was on the rampage that it wouldn’t cost anything for this to look/feel more menacing, and it’s just limped to a conclusion-ish.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

@titan1978 agree. But I might go a little farther and wonder if the writers are finally annoyed at Production for sticking their fingers in when they get momentum and now it is showing in their writing. Because even when there were moments when the momentum was lost (like for example post double wedding during Feburary Sweeps this year) there was definitely that 'throw everything at the wall and see what sticks' approach to the writing, there was at least something to keep viewers watching. But now...it's not even there at all. 

Well scratch that. I like these last few days entering November Sweeps.

10-29

Well...we know I live for Carly vs Nina. LW and CW just stay having excellent hate chemistry and when they are allowed to do their thing (and the writing is not bias), they are so great to watch.

Same for Ava. LOVE her giving Esme that warning. THAT'S the Ava I've been missing.

I don't like Gladys. But I will say that I'm liking her as the blackmailer in the Maxie/Brooklyn/Austin storyline. 

Oh, look at Shawn mixing into the Nik/Ava/Esme/Spencer storyline by way of Hayden. And using Spencer to get to the truth is a stroke of genius. And I continue to like Spencer vs Nik because no one is completely a white hat. It is really starting to take on something of Shakespearian proportions and so gothic if played right. But...will it?

Please let this mystery story lead to Curtis getting a really good story.