Pluto T.V. and soaps

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sadly, ATWT or anything P&G is not likely to happen. It's not about music and licensing rights, at least not when it comes to P&G. I believe it was RetroTv who wanted to do reruns of THE EDGE OF NIGHT like they do with THE DOCTORS and P&G told them they're not interested. I'm sure someone here can provide/remember more details.

• Members

Thank you.

For too long, the reflexive line has been about music rights when it's doubtful that this is at the heart of the matter.

SoapNet used to air plenty of classic soaps, many that had use of music. Are people trying to say that Ryan's Hope never used music cues? 

The issue was with P&G. The issue remains P&G and how they regard their soaps.

• Members

Some while ago, I posted an article about P&G wanting to engage in streaming some type of "Choose your own adventure" dramas, etc., as a method of what they hoped would be some sort of clever product placement for their products. Well, some might say that this sounds a hell of a lot like

a 21st century version of the daytime drama that began with a soap opera produced by their company!

P&G should not be allowed to get up on their virtual "soap box" on Irna Phillips' corner of the Internet and spread the misinformation that they have no interest in soaps. Of course they do. They just don't value their classic daytime soaps, preferring to relegate their daytime dramas to the dustbin of television history. They see GL, ATWT, EON, AW, etc. as relics of a bygone era.

They don't see that these shows can still entertain the way any classic television show can.

Extreme short-sided thinking, but it didn't just start when these soaps were cancelled--that sentiment been there all along.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I never heard background music cues as being the problem. I've only heard it was the popular music being the problem. Bill Hayes, Kaye Stevens, etc... sang many popular songs on Days at Doug's Place in the 1970's, and then Days started using tons of popular music in the 1980's, songs that would cost too much to use for a second time today. 

• Members

I'd like to really know what is the exact figure. Does anybody know? I'm curious.

I was watching clips of the sitcom "Everybody Hates Chris" and noticed the rampant use of popular music from the 1980s, in particular. As funny as I found that show, they're no Grey's Anatomy, I doubt that the sitcom had a very large budget, having aired on WB.

Also, SoapClassics "scrubbed" popular music from a number of their episodes before they sold them as part of DVD collections. I guess it was about priorities back then.

I'd really like to see a cost breakdown. With the prominence of streaming, there are sitcoms and movies taking up residence on freebie/ad-supported platforms like Crackle and Tubi and Pluto TV that use popular music in their episodes.

Who pays for Miami Vice's use of music? lol

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Modern shows build the costs for repeat airings into the license request and fees.

As the music industry changed with downloads and streaming, the artists and labels got a lot harder to deal with and way more expensive to use music for anything.

I know the band Pink Floyd just flat out refuses to grant those licenses now, cost is not their concern.

WKRP’s re-release by SHOUT a few years ago really went to bat to try to get all the original music.  They got about 90% of it cleared, the exceptions were either refusals (Pink Floyd), or just way too expensive.

Once upon a time those artists loved the exposure of soaps.  Now it’s just a cold hard cash thing.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Popular music is heard on The Doctors episodes, including recordings by the original artists.  Don't know how Retro has gotten around that.  Retro did reach out to Procter & Gamble, as they were interested in Edge of Night; P&G said they were no longer licensing their shows.

• Members

I don't think popular music is an issue for television for a lot of old shows since that was resolved years ago. Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place etc. are sometimes rerun with the original music (at least internationally, though I think on US airings they might use the DVD versions). The issue with music rights usually comes with new formats that didn't exist back then - ie dvd releases and streaming.

• Members

It never fails to annoy me when I remember how totally butchered the DVD releases of Beverly Hills 90210 were, with chunks of episodes missing and horrendous hacking out of the original music. They were the worst-quality  DVDs I've ever encountered, even worse than the original DVD releases of Little House on the Prairie.

• Members

I've been told different amounts by different people in the industry. I think something as simple as "Happy Birthday" (up until recently not in the public domain) was around $25.000 for one use. Most other songs could be around $50.000. I think it was around that for Bill & Susan Hayes to be able to sing "Always" (Tom & Alice's song) at the Horton Town Square dedication ceremony in 2011. Now, those are the prices for a first-time airing. I don't know how much it decreases to be able to use it again in a second (repeat or online) airing.