Y&R February 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My problem with Sally vs Phyllis/Summer is that nothing has happened that would justify those two going so hard against her.

It is one thing to establish that they are suspicious of her and instantly disliked her but for me to be invested there needs to be actual things that happen that establish detestation between two characters. Here there is nothing. Phyllis is making big speeches about how awful Sally is without an ounce of fact at all.
"She got promoted too fast" is not a compelling hook for her to start breaking the law in pursuit of God knows what..

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

For the record I don't like MS as an actress and there are some off-the-set stuff I disapprove of but I agree this post was over-the-top.
She is far from an old goat, she is far from the worst when it comes to plastic surgery and as irritated as I am by her acting (or lately lack thereof), she is not repulsive.
I have even less against Hunter King, whose character I do not like, but who is doing fine with the material she is given.

• Members

It makes more sense for Sally to go after Nick (or even Billy) than Jack but I guess she sees him as a sugar daddy who's easier to target? LOL none of it makes sense. Griffith sucks.

It does make sense that Summer and Phyllis are insecure around Sally. She's who they think they are (and who Phyllis used to be - fun).

I'd rather not see her be wasted on any of them to be honest.

I also feel like we are a year or two too late for this Kyle baby mama crap. Zzzz. I wish I could care, I really do. So tired of baby stories. This is why talented younger actors flee soaps (in normal times). 

And wasting Nina, Devon and Cassiah on Abby's uterus? Spare me.

Seems like Griffith is trying to soap it back up a bit but the show is a hollow empty shell under him.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

In true 2021 Y&R form, they’ve done zero to set this up properly. Just scenes of light flirtation and minor mentoring from Jack. I could totally see someone as ambitious as Sally going for the Big Daddy instead of a second stringer like Billy/Nick, but they haven’t played the beats to get there at all.

• Members

This. This. This.
They haven't played the beats at all. 
And that's what I was saying re: the Phyllis twosome vs Sally. As KMan101 said, it does make sense for them to be insecure. But you can't get them to 1000 unless you SHOW why that initial dislike escalates to a real rivalry. A few tense conversations is not good enough.
Play the beats. Exactly my problem with all of this. Stop telling me about Sally and how everyone feels about Sally. Show me. Write it. Tell a story with a beginning a middle and a to be continued.

• Members

MS has paid her dues, although I’ve been disappointed with her return. HK along with MO and many others on this show have probably not been fired because of their looks, that’s it. Their  ability to carry a story is questionable while better talents have been fired

Of course not. JG is good at telling the beginning and end. That’s it. He’s not a Kay Alden or even Bill Bell Jr (when he wants) who will develop major twists and turns  and give purpose to viewers to root for or against a character or couple. Sort of the same happened with Amanda. She showed up and barely anything happened and then she was dumped into a story with Billy and then passed off to Devon like nothing happened with the former. Of course now we getting some back story which has been all over the place.