Disney+: WandaVision

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Stay through the credits this week again.

An incredible episode, with some deep cuts and largely visual/thematic ties to the controversial but gripping and very influential John Byrne Avengers West Coast run - 

Please register in order to view this content

Unlike Byrne though, who ultimately destroyed the couple and their family while pursuing an editorially-aborted remake of his Dark Phoenix/Days of Future Past storylines from X-Men with Wanda in the key role, I don't think this story will be doing that.

I had a feeling this would be coming, but the fateful silhouette Wanda saw in the light during her Infinity Gem encounter - complete with the famous horned cowl we saw hinted at two weeks ago - and the ending line made me gasp nonetheless.

Elizabeth Olsen's place in the Marvel canon in recent years has often overshadowed the beginning of her career as a very powerful dramatic actress. Her work in Sean Durkin's Martha Marcy May Marlene is incredibly good and made her an in-demand young star. This episode should hopefully educate more people. Kathryn Hahn is equally great and always has been.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm glad I waited to watch this, rather than looking at each episode piecemealed. The show didn't really start to get interesting until the last few minutes of episode 3 with the Wanda and Monica tension. The show really found it's stride from Episode 4 onward.  Elizabeth Olsen deserves a Primetime Emmy in the Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series category, stat. Like I don't care what Disney has to do, just make it happen. She pretty much single-handedly made Disney's service a thing, that's worth tuning into beyond their bad screen for screen remakes. 

Episode 8 was brutal, but also what this entire series needed from the very beginning. I really can't walk around from this episode without a burning hatred for Tony Stark and Tyler Hayward. Literally such awful people, and I feel it would be justified if Wanda hated them for what they put her through. That scene where Tyler gaslights her, is enough to make me want to push his head in. Literally every sentence he said was designed to trigger her. The behavior is just disgusting. Desecrating Visions body in front of her, telling her she has no say in how she can mourn him, and that his body doesn't belong to her but the government -- it brought up really bad themes of slavery to me. Just beyond unfair. But she maintains control the entire time. It makes me even angrier that he basically created Ultron again, by creating a sentient weapon. Showing how Tony continues to be a scourge on this earth. 

In the end of the episode, I was actually glad to see her reject the reality that life gave her, and just sort of create her own in sheer denial and obstinance. I would totally do the same thing. I stan. Wanda gave herself the life she deserved, and I don't really see a problem with that, even though what she is doing is technically "wrong" with the mass brainwashing of an entire town. It's hard not to see this story as a bit political, or at least a commentary on gender? Women are constantly told to keep their emotions in check and that they can't get overly emotional, Wanda has to hold back against someone who deserves all of her anger, which is deeply unfair and unsatisfying. The idea that Wanda has this conga-line of grief and she is still seen as someone who deserves to be put down, and is dehumanized when it's men who put her in this position time after time, just makes me seethe. Especially since she came into S.W.O.R.D. peacefully, listened to them, let them point guns at her, threaten her, and walked away without much fuss. It's also kind of wrong that everyone in the universe gets a happy ending but her? 

It's kind of cool that they are finally adding Wanda's powers into the MCU, her powers have always been a bit confusing and I feel comic book editors have never known how to describe them: she impacts probability fields, she has magic, she warps reality, she has telekinesis, she reads minds until she can't, etc. Her capabilities are monstrous, but I guess that will help scale Phase 4 effectively. It's hard to not see her as the strongest Avenger moving forward. Even Agatha seems to be completely out of her league. 

Edited by Skin