Days: December 2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess I'm reading into this more than Ron Carlivati did. I should have been a psych major in college.

First off, Chad is a selfish, dumbass, walking hard on and I hope Abby punches the s..t out of him. But he's very paranoid and vulnerable at the moment, and paranoia and vulnerability makes people do stupid things. Gwen played on that well and I do kind of buy his actions. I may not like them, but I do.

He tried to visit his family, But he just couldn't resist all the handsome gay men of Salem 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

See, that was a PERFECT opportunity to incorporate real-life (COVID-19) circumstances into the storytelling (provided, of course, we can forget about that stupid time jump).  Will could have said he wanted to be there, but was practicing social distancing and avoiding potentially large gatherings.  I mean, I know some prefer their soaps to be more escapist, but I tend to think such attitudes are almost anathema to what soaps are fundamentally about.  But, again, that's just me.

• Members

I agree with you on all accounts. And that haven't retconed the time jump?

Are they legit going to celebrate NYE 2021? I can imagine someone flipping through the channels, seeing a 'New Years 2022' balloon (the text written on the balloon using chalk) and saying 'those damn soap writers! How stupid can they be? That can't get the year right!'

• Members

KNOTS LANDING's creator/EP, David Jacobs, once revealed that Alec Baldwin's character, Joshua Rush, was intended from the start to become mentally unhinged, a total one-eighty from the sweet, vulnerable "country boy" we saw at his introduction.  Yet, the show took almost two years to make that transformation in Joshua's character; it happened in stages and not overnight.  That, more than anything, is what I miss about DAYS and soaps in general today.  They just don't take the time anymore...with anything.  They're so afraid of boring viewers with the process of getting from point A to point B that they've forgotten that soaps are all about the process.  (Or, to quote Miley Cyrus, of ALL people, "It's the climb.").  We don't watch a soap opera because someone's suddenly become psychotic; we watch, because we want to see how, through gradual circumstances, they got there.

That's why I can't get excited at all about Charlie's storyline, just as I can't get excited about Gwen's story, because they've misplaced the suspense on revealing her real identity and motivations.  I couldn't care less about Charlie's connections to Ava or Allie, because Ron took zero time to get him (and us) where he is now, skipping over some important, character-developing beats in the process.

And while I am so, so glad to see Jennifer portrayed again by an actress who puts some actual thought into her performances, I totally [!@#$%^&*] HATE the revelation of Jack and Kate's ONS, because at no time did anyone on that writing staff take any [!@#$%^&*] time to GET us to see how those two sleeping together would make sense AT. ALL.  For me, it ain't enough that Jennifer's husband slept with the woman who torpedoed her parents' marriage and caused her mother's mental breakdown.  If Kate wasn't out to ruin Jennifer's life again, then why did she even give Jack the time of day?

A. Men.  At their best, soaps remind people that we all are in this together; that, as bleak as our real-life dramas might seem today, there is always, ALWAYS tomorrow.  Unfortunately, today's soaps would rather chase after the "Maury" demographic with ever more tired WTD dramas.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Ron has conveniently "forgotten" about it.  Because, number one, viewers' reaction to the twist was, at best, mixed; and number two, where da hell do you GO from jumping ahead one year?  Especially when little actually changed on the show as a result?  It's like I hear the ghost of Agnes Nixon saying, "Okay, so you've jumped ahead one year.  Now what?"

Edited by Khan

• Members

But, again, I wouldn't care that Y&R's (or any show's) production values have gone to Budget Hell if the writing was any good.  It's like what Bill Bell once said (and I'm paraphrasing): "All you need for good drama are a man, a woman and a waterfall -- and who in the hell needs the waterfall?".

• Members

Yeah this dude who plays Sonny doesn't look too hot. They should not have made him shave. Why is talking like a gam show host? But Will also looks like a bum (Why is he dressed like he's on the run?). I guess they're meant to be.

I know he's been on the show for years but I'll never get over the name Chad Dimera.