Iconic Soap Stars Who Flopped In Other Roles

• Members

In the thread about iconic soap stars in multiple roles, when I saw Robin Mattson  mentioned, it reminded me that in addition to her three iconic roles, her stint as Delia on Ryan’s Hope was a disaster. Can y’all think of any others? I don’t just mean short term roles, but big stars crossing over to other soaps and just not working out. 

Another one that comes to mind is Jensen Buchanan in General Hospital after leaving Another World. In that case I felt like they cast her due to her popularity without factoring in how she’d fit on GH or giving her a character that was needed. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Linda Dano as Rae on the ABC soaps. So heavily hyped but there really wasn't much interest and she was off once the contract was up.

Stephen Nicols post DOOL - Skyler SB, Tucker Y&R and was Stefan on GH that popular?

Lynne Herring as Lisanne on DOOL.

• Members

I think at least initially. Stefan and the other new Cassadines had a really strong introduction and I think there was enough story and interest to make him a success for at least the first three years.

It gets a bit iffy after that but I think Stefan's redemptive arc and 2001 exit was at least a somewhat satisfactory conclusion to the character.

Stefan's 2003 return ruined all that however.

So I wouldn't call Stefan a flop, but his later years did not live up to the potential of '96.

Edited by Dion

• Members

Sarah Brown flopped at three different shows-ATWT, B&B, and Days. Mostly it was bad writing but she just never lived up to the hype every time she was hired, almost like a Brian Gaskill. 

A few other flops come to mind:

Cady McClain as Kelly Y&R 

Joseph Mascolo as Massimo B&B

Mark Pinter as Brad Green GL

Colleen Dion as Dahlia ATWT

All famous actors & actresses cast on Y&R during the MAB era lol. 

Robin Mattson? It bothered me that Mattson was such a big daytime name in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s yet in the 2000’s all got were dumb bit roles like Sugar on B&B or the Whorehouse Madame on ATWT, or her prison guard character on Days. 

• Members

Chris Robinson (Rick, GH) Jason, AW

Judith Chapman (Gloria, Y&R) Diana, DOOL

Ian Buchanan (Duke, GH) Ian, DOOL

Sharon Wyatt (Tiffany, GH) Rachel, Passions

Judi Evans (Beth, GL/Adrienne, DOOL/Paulina, AW) Maeve, ATWT

And I definitely have to add Robin Strasser. She was iconic on AW and OLTL, but she was awful as Vivian on DAYS.

How about A Martinez? Would his role as Eduardo on DAYS be considered a flop? 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I would consider his Roy on GH a flop too.

No one has mentioned Beth Elhers on AMC yet.  Lol I am even blanking on the characters name.

Leslie K. Sterling as Lois on GH

John Ingle as Mickey on Days

Jed Allan as Edward on GH

Tyler Christopher as Stefan on Days

Lindsay Hartley as Arianna on Days

• Members

Hahaha yes, MAB and her love of ABC leftovers. Even before MAB, some ABC leftovers that tanked on Y&R were Vincent Irizarry and Keith Hamilton Cobb.

More to add:

Terry Lester (RIP) - Iconic on Y&R as the original and best Jack Abbott and was a revelation as Royce Keller on As the World Turns but I don't think he was well received on Santa Barbara as recast Mason Capwell.

Barbara Crampton - Y&R's Leanna Love is her signature role. She wasn't well-suited for Guiding Light's Mindy Lewis and B&B's Maggie Forrester was a dull character.

Rick Hearst - Despite being a recast, he made Guiding Light's Alan Michael Spaulding his own, but was all wrong for Y&R's Matt Clark.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Mark Arnold - Gavin Wylie, EDGE (hit) and Joe Perkins #2, SB (flop). I've never seen his OLTL work. Was he well-received there? 

A came in with a lot of hype to GH. I think he worked well with Geary and Zeman, but then his story fizzled out when they paired him with Jensen Buchanan. He hit the jackpot as Cruz Castillo, but it seems all his other daytime roles have never caught on.

Beth Ehlers as Taylor Thompson (originally supposed to be Taylor McBride, until someone pointed out that the name had already been used on Melrose Place). How long did she even last at AMC?

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I also thought Roy was a flop, and maybe not a flop but a waste was Lane Davies as Cameron.

Genie Francis was popular as Diana, people liked her with Roman, but the show never really wrote an actual character for her.  I recall she was in at least one well regarded story on AMC, but not greatly missed.

The only times Sarah Brown was a hit were both on GH, Carly and then Claudia.

Did B&B even use Ingo enough to count either way?