RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Members

If it’s any consolation, I doubt the vibe is like this anymore. I don’t get into NYC much anymore but the last time I went, things seemed kind of stodgy. Things have gotten so expensive that creative folks left  at least a decade ago and left in its wake are trustafarians and techies.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It is sometimes referred to as the “emperor of all maladies” but just as scientists and researchers and experts in viruses came together to concoct better treatments for coronavirus, surely a similar effort can be put into motion in order to find something as close to a cure for cancer? Yes, this sounds simplistic but why can’t this be a goal into which a worldwide effort is extracted?

• Members

Agreed. If people being sick and dying wasn't so profitable you wonder what might be.

You hear about Cuba supposedly having several vaccines for different types of cancer, but I'm never sure how accurate that is as I know some are vested in pumping that country up. 

• Members

Having personally travelled to the island, it was apparent that Cubans take healthcare, education, the art and their baseball seriously and are deeply invested in each but unless there are more open relations between the two neighboring nations, there will be no certainty of how Cuban medical research has progressed. The urgency does appear to necessitate the need to put aside nationalism in order to reach a much more important goal. To stop the suffering and death from these cancers.

Even having discussed this issue with friends who worked for institutes like Memorial Sloan Kettering, a great deal of ego and politics, even within these institutions themselves is hinder progress. Such a shame.

• Members

I think it was @Vee who showed me an article earlier this year where she said she wasn't touring anymore. I'm still shocked, but not as shocked as I would have been. Still, I'm heartbroken.

Christine was the main one who got me into Fleetwood Mac. I was watching their reunion special, The Dance, which led me to pick up some cassettes and CDs. While the appeal of Stevie and Lindsay was undeniable, Christine's songs, and the clarity of her voice, are what I found myself appreciating most. 

There is something of a Lennon vs McCartney feel with takes on Stevie and Christine, which is unavoidable, but also dismisses McVie's role in the band. She wasn't just the pop-oriented alternative to a dreamy Stevie or a driven Lindsey. She was one of the main forces who kept the band together, not just in the Rumours years or in the agonizingly slowly cocaine comedown of the '80s and early '90s, but in the much leaner years, when Stevie and Lindsey were hustling in LA and Fleetwood Mac had never heard of them, when Fleetwood Mac was a nonentity in the US and in the UK that group Peter Green used to be in, when they were a group who spent more time suing impersonators than hitting the charts. 

Christine's incisive, brilliant pop-rock songs were, along with Bob Welch and Danny Kirwan, what reshaped the band, and when they left, she kept on going, reshaping, evolving, while never needing to truly evolve because she had been there, right and good and fantastic, for so much of that time.

If you listen to her songs on Mystery to Me and Bare Trees, they are phenomenal, timeless, raw, and always touch my heart. As she always did and always will. 

Homeward bound, Christine.