RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I grew up hearing various Burt songs on oldies radio stations, those songs that were a part of the background of our lives (Walk On By, I Say a Little Prayer, Alfie - he and Dionne Warwick and Hal David were fated to be together), but it wasn't until I watched this Sessions at 54th episode back in the late '90s, with Elvis Costello and Burt, that I was truly swept away by the complexity and exquisite agony of his work.

Sometimes when I go back and listen to those old songs again, all the way from Dionne, to Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head, to What the World Needs Now, to many others, I'm reminded of just how good they were and how easy it is to take that level of brilliance and nuance for granted. 

I also treasure this performance with the one and only Dusty Springfield.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I love this so much. Barbra at, or close to, her peak vocally, and when you have the greatest voice in the world what else can you do except do a duet with yourself....

During the 50s, 60s and well into the 70s it was common practice here to translate foreign-language songs into Swedish. And with Burt Bacharach being such a successful composer his songs obviously got that treatment as well...