Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well Hispanics encompass an array of race identifies and ethnic groups and many times a combination of races and ethnicities.  For example, most Dominicans present phenotypically as black when designating race group, while Argentinians phentotypically present as white (which was a product of race relations and colonialism in each individual country). Just because one Hispanic may have native ancestors doesn't mean that all Hispanics have indigenous ancestory or lineage. Nonetheless, that particular headdress may not even be associated with the Native tribe to which that particular individual has a connection. Hispanic is not a race identity, but a grouping of individuals with different races, ethnic and cultural traditions based on common language. If the actor who plays Miguel is not indigenous it would nonetheless be insensitive for him to wear such a costume regardless if he may phenotypically resemble someone who may be indigenous.

To elaborate, Dominicans and Haitains which share the same island but were colonized by different countries actually have different racial/ethnic makeup. Haitians tend to be more predominately of African descent than Dominicans who tend to be more a mix of European and African descent and this was largely due to how slavery was conducted in each country (which I won't get into now). Nonetheless, Dominicans are considered to be Hispanic, because they are from a Spanish-speaking country but their race identity is black, because phenotypically that's how they would be categorized by American race groups. On the other extreme you have Argentinians and Uruguyans which have a predominately white ethnic identity (again in relation to colonialism and slave relations in those respective countries which I will not get into). Most Argentinians and Uruguayans can trace roots to Italy, Spain and Germany among other "white" nationalities. They are also predominately white countries. However, Argentinians and Uruguayans like Dominicans are also considered Hispanics although neither of the three are likely to have indigenous (very small percentage) ancestory. Mexican, Central Americans and several South American countries do have large indigenous people or people with indigenous ancestory. However, this does not mean that just because someone is Hispanic, they are indigenous or have indigenous lineage. It also doesn't mean that someone that is Hispanic and phenotypically resembles an indigenous person is necessarily indigenous or of indigenous ancestory as many Hispanics are a mix of racial and ethnic identities that may present that way. 

So to bring it around, I think Y&R was preventing backlash so decided just to not include those scenes altogether. 

Edited by GLATWT88

It funny this is a racist society. That at the same time is politically correct.  With all due respect you didn't have to educate me on my own culture/admixture. This not a genetics board.  Any way my Alpine Med +  Pontid + Castizo with residual Silvid self would get in trouble wearing the headdress.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I'm not sure what your ethnic identity has to do with Y&R not including the Native American headdress. I also wasn't educating you on your culture as I don't know you personally, I was explaining how Hispanics encompass an array of ethnic, racial and cultural identities because you used the term as if it denotes one singular identity and therefore it was okay for any Hispanic to rock indigenous headdress.

Race is a flimsy social construct when you start to break it down, but it is also very much apart of America. As you mentioned, keeping it PC definitely played a role in not including the images.  

• Members

Honestly, one of these soap publications is who *should* be doing it. Either here, TV Source or Daytime Confidential. It doesn’t all have to be on the record, but all it takes is one person to interview these people, write an article and get this out to the masses. It’s a shame my mind first went to Victoria Rowell, but it’s easy to do that when she’s the only one who has been doing the work. But I do agree the burden shouldn’t be all on her. She’s done so much already. 

I loved Rebecca and I do think they always wrote her as being racist and in the wrong. As crazy as Passions could be, I appreciated that they gave you various views on situations. The fact that Rebecca is one of the only racist characters in soaps isn’t realistic. 

Edited by Chris B

• Members

Regarding the scenes in the rebroadcast of the Y&R Masquerade Ball -- the deleted scenes of the *character*  Miguel wearing a "costume" for the Masquerade Ball - as Native American.

Instead of speculating about the actor's ethnicity, here is info from the actor himself:

Anthony Peña (Miguel Rodriguez on Y&R)-

Real name Antonio Peña.

Stage name Anthony Pena or Anthony Peña.

IMDB bio: 
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0671535/bio

He mentions his ethnicity in a facebook post dated September 5, 2012: 
https://www.facebook.com/antonio.pena.54379/posts/341033609321115

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Wow didn't know Anthony was from Texas. I wonder if he moved back after his YR days were over?

So we had two South Texans on YR...Anthony and Eva. I know she still comes and visits.

Oops forgot David Cowgill who played Cliff Wilson on YR was also from south texas.

• Members

Thank you for sharing. To clarify, I wasn't speculating on his ethnicity, I was discussing the term Hispanic and how it is often used as a pass for people who come from Spanish speaking countries to assert some otherness when it is used in the context of race and usually wrongly applied as a race identifier. Just because someone is Hispanic doesn't mean they all fit in the same race category.

As I originally mentioned, I believe those scenes were deleted to avoid any confusion or controversy just because of how those scenes were edited. My intent was not to get into a deep conversation about race and race identities among Hispanics, but that's where the conversation evolved.