Ratings From the 90's

• Members

The difference though is that the DAYS resurgence was a singular event that didn’t impact the rest of the NBC Daytime lineup or the lineup of other networks. In retrospect, it also fizzled pretty quickly, as by ‘98, DAYS was no longer a safe #2. 

I do think they deserve credit for being the only soap to rise in the aftermath of OJ,  but in retrospect, it very much feels like a fluke success. With ABC, you can at least say they dominated an entire (for the most part) decade. 

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 11/8/93-11/12/93 & 11/15/93-11/19/93:

Please register in order to view this content

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 11/22/93-11/26/93 & 11/29/93-12/3/93:

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

Yes, GH was benefitting from Luke & Laura returning.

AMC viewers were getting sick of poor Brooke being put through the wringer for Tad & Dixie. These were the first cracks showing in McTavish's writing in the ratings.

AMC was still strong in the 18-49 Demo (usually #1).

Edited by Janet Marlowe

• Members

Was this week in 1993 when Beth Ehlers left GL the first time?  I distinctly remember an interview with her in Digest when she returned and they mentioned how when she left the show was "flying high" with a 5.7 rating but nowadays hovers around a 4.0, and I always thought a 5.7 seemed higher than usual for GL in the '93 era, save for the post-Christmas/winter snow storm highs of January/February. 

• Members

When she wrote Janet hiring an actor named Justin, who looked iidentical to Will Cortlandt... with "makeup"... to torment Dixie.

One actor played Justin sans "Will makeup", and James Patrick Stuart played Justin with "Will makeup."

I read somewhere FMB hated that plot... but Megan got her way.

McTavish didn't last long after that (although, neither did FMB).

Edited by Janet Marlowe

• Members

To me, GL was still pretty good through most of '93 and '94, but, indeed, the cracks were beginning to show.  By '95, in fact, I thought the show was in real trouble.  So, of course, what does P&G do to fix the situation?  They hire Megan McTavish, lol.

• Members

McTavish...."You think your quality and ratings are down now..hold my beer!" and got us near cancellation. Which brings up another ratings question..does one specific actor or character ever impact the ratings. This is when they brought back Reva and the ratings continued to tumble and I could never understand why they thought Reva/Zimmer were such a draw that she would eat the entire show.