COVID-19 and The Entertainment Industry

• Members

It's really interesting to see that, after years of animosity between aspects of Hollywood and the streaming companies, many production companies and studios are opting to release some of their movies on those same streaming platforms, particularly rom-coms, which probably can likely make an easier transition to home viewing than a big budget spectacle.

Does this pandemic have the potential to change the balance of power between the movie industry and streaming platforms? Or will there be a return to 'business as usual' once the pandemic ends (although Dr. Fauci has intimated that coronavirus could become a season thing, which sounds horrifying on its face).  Movie theaters were already losing business (which many blame streaming platforms for) for non-comic book blockbuster movies.  Also, according to this article, there will likely be permanent damage to the industry.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you Ricky Gervais! 

WHEN pop star Sam Smith broke down in tears on Instagram in their £12million house, complaining about being in isolation, there was one man the singer was not getting sympathy from.

Funnyman Ricky Gervais says celebrities, including himself, should not be whining about having to stay indoors. Instead, he says, Britain should be lining up on a Thursday evening to applaud our NHS heroes.

In an exclusive interview with The Sun, Ricky said: “After this is over I never want to hear people moaning about the welfare state again, I never want to hear people moaning about nurses again. Or porters.

“These people are doing 14-hour shifts and not complaining. Wearing masks, and being left with sores, after risking their own health and their families’ health selflessly. But then I see someone complaining about being in a mansion with a swimming pool. And, you know, honestly, I just don’t want to hear it.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11390213/ricky-gervais-celebs-complaning-nhs-heroes-die/

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

Interesting read, which seemed to confirm what I had already suspected: streaming platforms like Netflix will benefit mightily, which the movie cineplexes will likely suffer. That suffering will likely extend itself to film festivals and award seasons.  That enormous power struggle that took place between Netflix and Hollywood over theatrical releases vs. streaming in order to qualify for Oscar nominations or be snubbed? That may not be an issue going forward for the next few years. In its place, may emerge a new model.