Stars you're surprised have lasted so long on daytime

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jason Thompson and  whoever is playing Adam now on Y&R only he hasn't been around long enough to fit the category.  He killed the show for me.  I don't know why people mention Jordi - he's not a bad actor and certainly good to look at.  You could go down 1/3 of the Y&R cast and name people.  Don Diamont on B&B...it's a good thing he's good to look at.  Horrible actor.  Bryton is about as interesting as a dishtowel. This is going to be blasphemy but Eric Braeden (the "OK" guy, "OK"?  I love you Nikkkehhhhh....need to protect my familehhhh, OK?  OK?)  God awful.  For years ended every line in "OK?"   Honestly Peter Bergman isn't very good either.  There's a reason people stay acting on soaps - they can't get work elsewhere. 

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

+1 on Jordi

Please register in order to view this content

Well, with so many of those you mentioned, it's not a bad gig for someone who wants to work steady. 6 figure salary, only work a few days a week, and no more overtime (not in this era of daytime!)... Sign me up! I can see why people stay. I'm sure people like Sharon Case, Josh Morrow, etc. planned/hoped earlier in their careers to jump to primetime/film after their first contract ran out, but here we are 25 years later, money's still good by comparison to other work. Why not ride it out?  Who'd o' thunk Laura Wright jumping ship from GL to GH would guarantee her 11+ more years of work (and still going) than GL

• Members

Especially as the third Carly!  And nothing about her portrayal has ever had the grit of SB or the romantic chemistry with Sonny or Jason of TB.

She is at least a capable soap actress.  People like Amanda Heinle have been playing their roles so long it’s kind of shocking.

• Members

But that's the point, he's not good lol. He has that one style that makes every character he's played pretty much the same one. I see no difference between Todd Manning, his Paul Ryan and his Franco.

I used to think Mo was good, but these last few years it's been like watching a dying man.

• Members

I was thinking more characters who have lasted so long on their respective shows. I should've entitled this "Characters you're surprised have lasted so long on daytime". Maurice Benard hasn't bothered to hone his craft in a good 15 years BUT Sonny is an undeniably popular character.

I'm thinking of characters who were never very popular but somehow lasted through years and different regimes just sort of...existing. You know those people who are very "Why are you here again? What purpose do you serve?". Franco's a good one! If he hadn't been played by James Franco that one time he would have been a long forgotten villain but no here we are stuck with him when Roger Howarth's portrayal has never taken off and most of the audience either hates him or tolerates him to vary degrees.

• Members

Michael Baldwin is a character that I'm surprised is still around on the GC canvas. He was brought out as a predator, stalking and peeping on the town heroine. When he got sent to prison, it was obvious he was meant to stay and not return to GC. I know what the official story is (or at least what everyone claims is the official story) of how Michael Baldwin returned, having been redeemed but that one has always been something of a headscratcher to me. I guess I usually find it a bit puzzling when villains stick around.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

FWIW, Y&R, from my earliest memories, didn't seem to be the type of show that obsessively focused on one character until around the mid '00s. Now if we want to discuss whether they focused almost exclusively on one family or group of characters, that would be a different topic for discussion.