Stars you're surprised have lasted so long on daytime

• Members

I never cared for Brady and Nicole with Eric Martsolf in the role. Friends? Partners in Basic Black? Yep, gimme that all day every day. But, honestly, after the ugliness between them with him forcing her to dump Eric and skip town, which ultimately led to everything, it kinda bothers me they're all just fine with each other. But that's DAYS. Maggie is like the best person Will Horton knows!! Dontcha know?

And to be fair, Kyle/Arianne were together and share a daughter, right? ... they had chemistry. I do sort of lol at Ari hooking up with Kyle and now she's with Shawn Christian. Kyle seems like the better catch. LOL Anywho ...

Nicole/EJ were great. Another reason I hated EJ/Sami.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Funnily enough, I'm not sure whether Shawn was actually SORASed in 1999. Recasted with a much older  actor in Jason Cook, sure. But being a sophomore in high school meant his age was still consistent with Collin O'Donnell's version. In any case, Shawn was only three years older than his real age during the Last Blast era, whereas Belle and Phillip were respectively like 9 and 11 years older than their real ages!

Not sure if it has ever been mentioned onscreen (Maybe Hayden's mom might have actually said her name) but most sites seem to agree on Carolyn.

• Members

Yeah I kinda forgot about awkward in between aged Shawn.  I remember seeing him and Brady and Belle as kids but I can't recall seeing kid Phillip at all.  I maybe would have waited a couple of years to age the whole crew because the adults had so much story but like I said my bigger problem was them going from teens to a bunch of people that wanted to settle down and have kids at age 20.  I guess that happens on all soaps, but I don't remember seeing the late 90's teens on GH being that obsessed with marriage and babies when they were in their early 20's.

Nicole and Brady were whatever.  I am honestly pretty indifferent to all his love interests.  But I liked Brady/Chloe the best probably.  They had good chemistry but they were a little too cheesy with the singing and the cancer and scarred face lol.  I liked Nicole/EJ.  It was miles better than Sami/EJ, but I loathe that pairing.  I'd rather she end up with Rafe than with EJ.

• Members

And with the unfortunate timing of her Tweet regarding John Callahan, Nancy Lee Grahn is another one I am surprised has lasted this long on GH...

Alexis hasn’t been the go-to lawyer in years, her romantic relationships have largely failed, and her connections are pretty thin overall.

• Members

Mmmhmm. Just give her some glasses of wine and Nancy girl will spill all that tea, you know she's probably drinking more on lockdown. I feel bad for John's daughter though.

It was .... yikes. 

Please register in order to view this content

Yeah, Belle, Brady & Philip were the worst aged (but then came EJ) up. Brady and Abby should be the exact same age. I always resented they didn't grow up together. lol. Then you had Philip and Will who should be the same age, basically. Belle should be a year younger than Abby! It's sooo bad.

Will and Shawn-Douglas are actually the best in terms of aging up and only really being aged a couple of years more than they should have been.

Brady should not be Sami and Eric's contemporary.  

I mean, lord. EJ was born in 1997 and became Sami's "soul mate" (gag). So ridiculous. Two years YOUNGER than Will and he's now in his 40s and her love interest. LOL. Yikes.

But then we've had Mike Horton aged and de-aged and then put back more where he should have been. Same with Abby. Oh DAYS ...

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I actually really liked Alexis and her relationships.  I liked her with Ned, I liked her with Jax, and even liked her with Sonny.  But then I saw NLG's twitter and it colored my entire view on her and her character.  She's a reason stars shouldn't have social media.  Her and CC both just seem like drunk crazies and it stinks because they are good at their jobs.  But saying all that Alexis really isn't all that necessary to the canvas on GH.  The list of people I'd get rid of before her is pretty long though. I did enjoy her this week when she told Sam she was an idiot.

It's weird Days seem to struggle with SORASing while other soaps do an okay job at it.   I can't think of an instance where GH hugely threw me with SORAS the way Days has.  

• Members

Alexis is an interesting case.  She was rudderless at first, saved by NLG’s acting abilities turning nothing into something and her ability to generate chemistry with pretty much everyone she was with- Luke, Nikolas, Stefan, Ned, Helena, Jax.  I also enjoyed her with Sonny, mostly because I knew it was not going to last.  I loved when she and Luke would plot against the other Cassadines/Helena.

There have also been whole periods of time on the show when I felt they were basically ignoring her.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Howarth as Franco. Most useless forced character in GH history and played by a terrible hammy actor. Worst recast and reboot of all time on any soap. Most deadweight role in daytime right now. No other showrunner except Frank would keep Howarth around. 

Edited by Vince79

• Members

Roger Howarth's career has been built around detestable characters being shoved down our throats.  The day he portrays someone who doesn't make my skin crawl and teeth itch will be the day I'm ready for the bone orchard.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I like Roger Howarth.  I just hate the characters he portrays.   He played a professor in Gilmore Girls too (also unlikable).  I think the roles he chooses says something about his personality.  He must have a dark side.  On the other hand, when someone plays a "goody-good" a lot of fans hate them too.  Some viewers are drawn to villains like Stefano Dimera  and James Stenbeck.  They're the type who cheer for Darth Vader when they watch Star Wars.   They admire the villain's strength, intelligence and conviction.  

The actors  I am surprised have lasted so long in daytime are Deidre Hall, John Aniston (on Days for 3x longer than his daughter was on Friends), Josh Taylor, Eric Braeden, and Melody Thomas Scott.  When an actor is successful in daytime, there is a natural tendency to progress to prime time or the big screen.  Those people I mentioned have either bucked this trend or were offered high enough salaries to keep them in daytime.  

• Members

Deidre Hall did leaves Days for primetime and landed a series and some other gigs but nothing that really took off so when she was offered the moon to return to Days I guess she decided she'd rather be a big fish in a small pond.

Eric Braeden had his chance at primetime and movies and was mainly doing guest gigs which is why he was prepared to do a soap.

Josh Taylor had already left Days and got his own series 'Ryker' and then went on to 'The Hogan Family'

I think all of them realized the chances of landing a hit series at their age was slim and daytime offered better security and a comfortable level of stardom/success.

• Members

Plus, I think she was entering a period in her life where she wanted to slow down and start a family -- which she did, via surrogate.  Soaps might be low on the entertainment industry's totem pole; however, they do lend themselves well to those looking to raise children while still holding down a regular acting gig and steady paycheck.

Edited by Khan