Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I hope you are doing fine after your first dose jcar03 and I hope you end up being fine after your second shot amybrickwallace.

Unfortunately, I have had some co-workers/know of people who have had severe reactions to their second shot. Both of them had to call out sick due to the side effects. I talked to one today after she came back to work and here is what she told me happened to her.

She said that she started feeling pain in her neck and arm on the evening of the day she got her shot. (Which was a few days ago). She mentioned that the opposite arm from the one that she got her shot in, was pretty sore. (Another co-worker mentioned that happened to them as well.) My co-worker said that she had severe chills where she was freezing all day/night long. She mentioned putting on robe, three blankets, and a heating pad, and still freezing. She also said that the pain she experienced in her neck/arm shot all the way down her body and she had severe body aches. She mentioned she also had a headache and had difficulty sleeping. She said it was the worst pain she's felt.

Another co-worker got her shot on Friday and also called out sick today. When she comes back I will ask her about her side effects as well. And a third-coworker said their son had a really bad reaction to the second dose as well. She mentioned him having many of the same problems my other co-worker did and I think she said it affected his heart rate.

Both of my co-workers who had severe reactions didn't started having them until like a day after they got their shot. So that maybe something people need to look out for after they get their second dose.

I get my second dose on Tuesday. I hope everything goes okay, though these possible side effects do sound pretty concerning. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

This was the case with me and my co-workers after our first shot. Everyone felt fine outside of a little arm soreness and one person said they felt a little fatigued.

But this second shot is giving some people severe issues. Most of my co-workers received their second shot this past Friday, with the one I talked to, today getting her shot on Thursday. 

At least one of the ones that I talked to that hasn't had severe side effects to it mentioned that she tried to stay hydrated prior to the shot especially the day of it. She mentioned drinking water/gatorade. So hydration could possibly help make a difference in the severeness of side effect. I'm going to make sure to try and stay hydrated before my shot on Tuesday and maybe that will help.

The co-worker that stayed hydrated did mention also having opposite arm soreness (like one of my co-workers who had severe side effects did), which she thought was a bit unusual.

• Members

Hopefully you'll end up being okay and having the day off could help. The co-worker that I talked today that had severe side effects also said she was "sick as a dog". She said it was a very painful experience. Thankfully it didn't last more than like a day and a half for her. I hope you will be fine. I also hope, my other co-worker who is out sick, side effects will subside soon and she won't be out too long.

Hopefully companies will continue to work and improve these vaccinations so maybe in the future we can get something that won't cause people to have as severe of reactions. My co-worker today said she didn't want to go through that experience again, when we talked about the possibility of COVID vaccinations being a yearly thing like the flu shots are.  If the side effects are too severe that could deter people from wanting to get them regularly if that's recommended or even getting a second shot.

There are other vaccines being worked on including one from Novavax, which has created a more traditional vaccine. If that one and others has less side effects, hopefully they can be on the market next year. And we can have more of a choice of which vaccine we want to take. Plus Novavax is actually talking about getting a vaccine that would protect people from both Covid and the flu, which could be very useful. And could cut down on the number of covid/flu vaccinations people are recomended to take.

Also, the co-worker that got sick told me that she heard they are running out of the vaccine here and that after this Wednesday the 17th, they won't be giving out anymore "first doses" for the time being. (Until they get more of the vaccine in supply.) It sounds like they will just be giving out second doses while they can. I told a couple of my co-workers, people should have/should take the opportunity while they can to get this vaccine. I do believe we will end up having enough for everyone, but that's not something someone wants to fall even further behind in line, especially if they are offered the opportunity to get it. I do know people who refused to get it, though they were offered the chance. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

My husband and I had our 2nd doses a week and a half ago.  I felt drowsy the rest of the day but was back to normal the next day.  Hubby was fine the day of the shot but felt achy on the 2nd day.  We are both up in years and are very happy to have taken the vaccine.

• Members

I'm glad you and your husband ended up being okay Ponds after the second shot. And that you didn't have severe side effects.

I talked to my second co-worker that had to call out sick, yesterday and here is what she said about her side effects:

She said that she initially felt fine after the shot, (she took it on Friday morning) but by 2am Saturday morning she woke up feeling nauseous. She threw up and had severe body aches in her body. She said she had to end up sleeping throughout the day.

I get mine tomorrow, I hope things end up going okay, but I do wonder with the reports of people having more severe reactions. So far the people that I've talked to that had severe reactions didn't get them until several hours/about a day later. I am hearing/reading about more people having that type of experience. People are saying they initially feel fine after the second shot, then they feel like they've been hit by a truck. So if people get the second dose, you might want to try and see if you can have the next day off from work. So just you can possibly have time to recover. Other people are suggesting to stay hydrated/well rested before and after the second dose, which I think is good advice. Do that if you can.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I'm curious which vaccine you all had. I have heard of more severe side effects from the 2nd Moderna vaccine than the Pfizer vaccine. One of my friends who is a teacher got her second Moderna vaccine on Friday - they had surplus so her husband had also been vaccinated. They were both sick on Saturday. He worse than her. Chills, fever, he had nausea. Another friend who works for the NYC Dept of Public Health told me they have given their staff an extra sick day for the year. They are giving their staff and residents they are vaccinating the Moderna vaccine and several of her colleagues were sick the day after.

On the flip  side my moms retirement community just finished vaccinating their staff(2nd vaccine) about 2 weeks ago with the Pfizer vaccine and minimal side effects. My mom just got the 1st Pfizer vaccine on Tues and I got it on Thurs.  The only effects we had for the first was a sore shoulder. I had a mild headache but that could have been from anything.

I have heard the same about hydration and taking calcium and zinc before hand to minimize effects after the second dose.

Edited by JaneAusten