Soaps In The Time of Crisis

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

CBS has shut down production on most of it's series, including Dynasty which films out of Atlanta. They get to wrap up the episode they're filming now and whatever was left to be filmed (likely 1-2 episode per show) will be scrapped due to the cost of resuming filming after a break. Grey's Anatomy is shut down as are Netflix shows. You can't tell me soaps aren't far behind. DAYS of course will be fine, but I wonder what would happen with the other three soaps. They only have like a 3-4 week backlog of episodes right? If production is halted you also have to consider the time it would take them to resume and have enough episodes ready to film. This could be a mess. 

I know in the UK and Australia soaps have taken regular hiatuses so it might not be a bad idea to craft cliffhangers and simply announce that they will be taking a break. We'll have a better chance of regaining viewers that way as opposed to just ending on regular episodes. Of course we have to h ope they care enough to even do that and then promote the shows when they return.

• Members

I don't watch but this will be weird. No current sports to watch, reruns for the forseeable future when they're out of new episodes for all primetime shows, talk shows with no audience and I wonder if celebrities will stop booking talk shows just because of fear.

• Members

Does anyone know for sure how far in advance exactly each show shoots?  I know DAYS is like 6 or 8 months in advance.  But I was reading for the others it's about 3 weeks or a month.  I thought at one point (this is years ago)...most were shooting Christmas episodes in September....so it was like 2.5 to 3 months.  Are Y&R and B&B and GH now at 1 month or 3 weeks?