Soaps In The Time of Crisis

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's not even granted that the networks will air the remaining episodes they have. The networks have pre-empted soaps for much less than a pandemic.

The soaps won't be able to resume shooting for a while.

• Webmaster

B&B’ And ‘Y&R’ Suspend Production Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2020/03/bb-and-yr-suspend-production-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

‘Days Of Our Lives’ To Remain On Production Hiatus Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2020/03/days-of-our-lives-to-remain-on-production-hiatus-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

• Members

I see some of the actors & writera (I don't blame them) telling fans to tune in, because now is a great time to get caught up. 

My thoughts are get caught up on what? I just don't think today's soaps can compete with the variety of other options viewers have sadly. There isn't even an exciting story going that viewers could get caught up in. I think GH had some potential with the Taggert/Cyrus story. Then they killed Taggert. Can you imagine if they had the right story and momentum was there? Sadly, that is not happening. I would love to be able to watch old episodes, in good quality. Now that would be nice but I don't see it happening. The three networks have apps, upload some classics. They don't even have to show them on TV. 

• Members

This is what I was saying on the first page (once the topic shifted to what would happen once the coronavirus hit).

The idea that the soaps could just go on smoothly, business as usual with no disruptions struck me as a ridiculously unrealistic notion. Even under ideal conditions, it's probably going to take weeks just to clean out those dirty soundstages, studios, dressing rooms and offices.

I remember Jeanne Cooper (may she RIP) once saying that the sets were so filthy that she had real concerns that someone would get terribly sick because of the unsanitary conditions.

Edited by DramatistDreamer