The sun sets on the TV By The Numbers website...

Wendy

• Members

Totally agree and feel the same.  Loved the format.  I've visited SpoilerTv this week and can't stand the format.  Unless someone can explain it to me, the ratings section doesn't really make sense.  It's not clear on what ratings are for cable, which are the ones I care about most now (i.e. Bravo shows, etc).  I've been looking at Showbuzz Daily, which I'm liking better than SpoilerTv, but still miss the format and simplicity of TV By The Numbers.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

No need to worry. We ain't going anywhere but up, up up. Besides adding components to the site here and there, we will never get rid of our community here as it's a very important asset not only to what made SON to begin with but more specifically what keeps it unique among soap sites. Soap fans love their soaps. SON soap fans love their soaps, its history, and all the details that make a soap a soap. Whether its the outlandish and the sci fi, the love and the passion, the action and the adventure, we crave it all. We bitch about it all too, and that's alright.

• Members

That's true, things evolve.

I do agree the site declined when it lost it's original owners (same thing happened to a lot of pop culture websites that were popular in the 90s and 00s and are now blips on the radar after being sold). The last few years was more visiting the website just to see the numbers, usually.

I LOVE message boards. I'm used to them and I agree you can form better connections that way. I sort of despise Facebook and Twitter, even though I use them, because it's clear a lot of folks, like you said, just want to shout their opinion at you, not engage and then block you if you dare disagree or tell them to 'relax'. It's so bizarre. I'm only in my 30s but I fear for the teens and kids who only know social media. There's a clear lack of self awareness and there's a huge lack of social skills. It's sad. 

I'm glad this board is still here.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

TMS is Preston Beckman, who, for years, was the scheduling guru at NBC; and later, at FOX, during the height of the "24"/"American Idol" era.  These days, he's retired, but does some consulting work.

He still keeps a blog (revengeofthemaskedscheduler dot blogspot dot com) and Twitter account (@maskedscheduler) -- but, I have to warn anyone who's interested, he's VERY anti-Trump. (And VERY, VERY pro-professional wrestling.  Which I wouldn't have thought possible in someone who hates Trump as much as he does.  But, hey, we live in interesting times, lol.)

• Members

Is it possible to upvote a post? 

Please register in order to view this content

I have been part of the SON community since, well, before 2005 I think. I remember posting on the old SON with General Mobspital back in the day. He bowed out of message boards altogether but I am still in touch with him. And I really treasure the people who post here. As you say, people talk with each other. I learn a lot from this community. Their field of interests or knowledge are not limited to US Daytime but encompass all kinds of things. Posting on here has enriched my 'interior life' and general knowledge. It has also taught me how to respond to people, how to argue my corner, and how to measure my words and self-edit when needed. Important life skills IMO!

• Webmaster

I remember General Mobpital. Great poster. Tell them I said hi. 

What I love about the SON Community is that I learn new things every day. Whether it is an era of soaps I never knew about or people in front of and behind the scenes who have long passed or haven't been seen in quite some time, it's fascinating to learn things you never knew or how we take things for granted today. The 80s and the 90s are my favorite era, but only because I was around in both and they are more recent than any other time before it. However, I can never ignore what programs led to the shows we still have today nor the people who've become the faces of our current soaps. 

I'm a soap lover. I want to see another golden era of soaps. I'd like to help guide the future of them in some way as well. Because of all the things I've learned here and elsewhere, I know there is another golden era on the horizon and I can't wait for it to happen. 

• Members

I saw at Spoiler TV that they are now using a new ratings table, showing preliminary/final numbers and removing the extraneous stuff. Maybe the new format will be okay for those that disliked the site initially. (I even think it is easier now.)

I guess other ratings sites are trying to adapt - and gain refugees - from TVBTN.