The sun sets on the TV By The Numbers website...

Wendy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not surprising. After they sold it, it started going down hill. Rick Porter did an ok job with trying to keep it going, but the nail was driven in once he left.

Add that the Cancellation Bears ratings formula is becoming more and more obsolete as channels have started taking other factors into the equation than linear ratings.

• Members

Aw

Please register in order to view this content

I just discovered this info today. I enjoyed going there for the day-to-day ratings... Seeing the standards slowly get lowered and lowered each year for what constitutes a "hit" on network TV, plus checking to see how Real Housewives and other select shows were holding up. 

I also liked whoever wrote "The Masked Scheduler" who did a long multi arc write-up about the rise and fall of NBC's Must See TV era. 

Hmmm... where can we go to now?  

• Members

As the few tech companies that hold its destiny get larger and larger, at least their profit margins do.  You're right though, with lack of competition and more start ups failing, small companies unable to get a foot in the door, the World Wide Web gets smaller and narrower.

• Members

I'm disappointed. It was my "go-to" for ratings. Anyone have somewhere else to go? I know a few places report them but I just preferred the layout of TV By The Numbers. 

It definitely went downhill over the last couple of years but I checked daily. 

Have to agree with Carl that it seems like the internet is "getting smaller" to some degree. Lots of websites I've visited over the last 20 years, at least, have gone to the wayside or changed for the worst.

The cancellation bear thing was just a guessing game towards the end. Renewals became less about ratings. I also think with the use of other methods to watch, as well as live, there needs to be a different way to report the numbers.

I notice, as a country, we tend to stick with antiquated methods ...

• Webmaster

Nostalgia. There's nothing else like it. Some have even asked me why we still have a message board since there is Twitter, Facebook, etc. I wouldn't have it any other way, personally. Nothing like a one stop shop to discuss various topics with people you've created real semi-tangible connections with over decades vs some rando who'll shout their beliefs and agendas at you without a care in the world.

I will miss TVbytheNumbers, although it hasn't been the same since it lost its original owners. Things evolve.