Sign in to follow this  
ChitHappens

Diahann Carroll dead at 84...

Oh my god. She always felt immortal. I suppose she is regardless of this earthly life, but still a shock. RIP to an icon and pioneer. 

Such a talented and one of a kind woman. A true goddess - one of those people you feel lucky to have ever known about. She was always able to remake herself for new eras while remaining true to her morals and standards. I really loved her work in Claudine, a role she gave so much dignity. And in more recent years, she was a standout on White Collar. 

I am sorry to hear this news. She was a talented and very pretty lady. She was very stylish all throughout her life.

Edited by xtr

30 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Such a talented and one of a kind woman. A true goddess - one of those people you feel lucky to have ever known about. She was always able to remake herself for new eras while remaining true to her morals and standards. I really loved her work in Claudine, a role she gave so much dignity. And in more recent years, she was a standout on White Collar. 

Anyone who wants to see just how trans-formative a presence Carroll can be in a role should see her in that movie!  The lovely Diana Sands was too sick to take the role of the title character and suggested Carroll.

20 minutes ago, ReddFoxx said:

She deserves credit for making for helping black women in entertainment see that they can be elegant and stylish.

Definitely deserves that credit! She literally broke a "color ceiling" with her first role, Julia. Then, more recently with Matt Bomer who got his start on GL, she was fantastic as his companion/landlady on White Collar, the USA drama.

9 minutes ago, Donna B said:

Then, more recently with Matt Bomer who got his start on GL, she was fantastic as his companion/landlady on White Collar, the USA drama.

A good friend of mine was the first person to interview Matt Bomer when he'd barely been in the city for a week. She adored him. The fans adored him, too, and his role as Ben. It was just too bad, too awfully bad, that ConWest had him commit suicide out of guilt.

42 minutes ago, ReddFoxx said:

She deserves credit for making for helping black women in entertainment see that they can be elegant and stylish.

This is so true!

As an aside:

All these daytime soap HWs on social media tweeting pics and memes of Diahann Carroll as Dominique Deveraux yet wouldn't think to create such a character on their own soap-- they don't even give any black women characters a semblance of agency on their shows! They should all be ashamed of their hypocrisy! 

Daytime still suffers (I mean the ratings suffer) from this problem.