HBO Max: Gossip Girl reboot/continuation

• Members

The funny thing about The Vulture review is that the Hollywood Reporter review specifically notes that HBO did not want reviewers to spoil the twist about the identity of Gossip Girl when they sent out the screeners.  So, lesson learned, if you want to keep a secret don't tell Vulture.

Also, I question if the teen culture of Upper East side has changed dramatically since 2007?  I seriously doubt if the current version would discuss the ethnic exclusivity of the UES private school entry system which would have made a diverse cast seem historically inaccurate.   In my experience, the fact that currently the wealthy residents of the Upper East Side represents a more racially and religiously diverse population has yet to have any impact on the desire for UES institutions like private schools, co-ops, and clubs to be more inclusive.  So, the representation of BIPOC characters in this reboot is purely superficial. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And to make it funnier, I did read the EW review which normally is not very spoilery and it gave something away that is not at all apparent in the promos and trailers and I was like WHHHHY??? THAT was a good twist without knowing the will-be-important information. And EW was not the only one to spoil that info...which is not about the identity of GG.

Well...the more things change the more they stay the same. Though I am curious to see how they use modern technology.

Yeah, just like what they kinda did with TELL ME A STORY. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two episodes in and i'm not drawn in or impressed. It's hard to root for characters that are so boojee and above it all. Elite handles their characters sophistication better. The teachers being GG is a really good idea. But the teachers are so meh. None has a personality. I like Max's whorieness. But he looks and acts to old for his age. Most of the ''teenaged boys'' look long in the tooth. I do love the characters sexual fluidity . But again Elite does that way better. Everything is very cliche and predictable. Nothing remotely original or fun. The only character i like is Zoya.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Yeah, I saw the first episode. And while intrigued, it's not there. YET. 

Monet is easily my favorite character.

And I think it's safe to assume that at some point someone will hack that account.

And...already renewed for Season 2. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So Zoya just turned 14 and so far, she's kissing Obie (at 13) and a teacher took pictures of her in her underwear as part of revenge against the mean kids.  

Why in the sam hell would I want to see a 14 year old's love life w/in a group of people who look 25 - 30?  

I thought the character was 16 so I will no longer be watching this.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...