Soapsuds

Live Daytime Emmys 2019 Discussion Thread

Just now, Faulkner said:

Not that it matters, since all one needs is a good episode that works out of context to win, but those other shows were pretty fücking bad.

It's JFP's legacy at the Daytime Emmy's - create strong standalone stunt/shock episodes, and voters will likely vote for you. 

2 minutes ago, Cruising Soaps said:

That was the longest award show.  OMG too many categories, too long of speeches, too much...

It draaaggged.  So bad this year, especially compared to last year's ceremony.

If they were to move all soaps-related categories to the (off-air?) Creative Arts awards presentation, I guarantee two things would happen:

1. The awards ceremonies would be at least one hour shorter.  (Duh.)

2. The ceremonies would return to broadcast television.

While I don't begrudge any of the soap Emmy winners, it's as if the Academy voters set out to systematically give the award in each category to the weakest contender. Every single award went to the wrong nominee.

Mal Young looked *so* awkward on that stage LOL! You could tell nobody was really embracing him, the energy was completely off and he knew it. 

That would suggest skulduggery on the voters' part, and frankly, I don't think they give enough [!@#$%^&*] to conspire in that way.

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

Mal Young looked *so* awkward on that stage LOL! You could tell nobody was really embracing him, the energy was completely off and he knew it. 

It's really something to see how bad guys keep getting rewarded in our modern culture.

Edited by Khan

18 minutes ago, Khan said:

If they were to move all soaps-related categories to the (off-air?) Creative Arts awards presentation, I guarantee two things would happen:

1. The awards ceremonies would be at least one hour shorter.  (Duh.)

2. The ceremonies would return to broadcast television.

The only way that becomes possible is if it aired during the daytime as it once did, pre-empting one or more soaps/talk shows or on the Game Show network or some such channel.  There's no way in the world any primetime slots would be ceded to four failing soaps, some talk shows and some game shows.  If you take out the soap-related category, you'd likely lose the few viewers that tune in.  I'd be interested in learning how many would watch an actual telecast with just game show and service show categories.  

Last year's livestream was over by about 10:30 ish and it seemed to have a lot more content as well as more thoughtfully done.

As a longtime Barney Miller fan, I am thrilled for Max Gail. He was nominated for Supporting Actor in primetime twice as Wojo. He lost out to Robert Guillaume of Soap in 1979 and Harry Morgan of M*A*S*H in 1980. So glad to see an actor of his caliber finally take home the trophy. 

At first, I couldn't even imagine anyone else but Ron Hale in the role of Mike. Max has made the part his own. Plus, he makes MB seem somewhat tolerable in their scenes together, which is a remarkable feat in and of itself.

Here is a picture of the Y&R's cast gathering together after their Emmy's wins. This cast picture is mighty small looking (though I do believe Peter Bergman may be there somewhere.) More of the cast may have attended the Emmy nomination reception/creative arts Emmys, than they did the the actual Emmys.

20 hours ago, DaytimeFan said:

He's filtered the hell out of both of their faces. He does seems well liked, though.

Okay?! Damn, when I get to be his age, I want to have no skin pores just like him. 

18 hours ago, Faulkner said:

She left the Today show. She’s not dead.

OMG I knew it. I'd be the only one here who liked Kathy Lee. Eff it. I enjoy her camp and boozy nature.