OLTL Vet to DAYS?

• Members

I agree. I don't know if her health is bad but I imagine she's "done". I can't blame her. I also think she was greatly let down (an understatement, maybe?, though to be fair I thought her 2009-2011 return was horrific but she came back and this run wasn't her worst, just sort of anticlimatic).

Ron likes his villains of the month. Remember how many times he relied on the same trope on OLTL and GH? He's not doing anything different here. Anjelica (brought on before him, but he wrapped it up). Diana. Hattie. Bonnie. Vivian. Kristen/Susan ...

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It wasn't really that bad for Vivian, honestly (maybe she just meant "in general" ... Ron didn't really use Vivian as much as I hoped and then he just randomly discarded her so I get her disappointment and even anger) ... I felt her 2009-2011 was awful. Much worse. Such a cartoon. While outlandish, I felt Vivian was slightly more subdued this go around. I think she was more let down, but actors have different perceptions than we do watching the stuff ... but I think she's just mentally done.

• Members

Kate shot Vivian (they might have been fighting over a gun; I was so annoyed over it my mind wants to block it). We saw a few weeks later or so an asleep Vivian on a gurney and she woke up (and then there were rooms with names on them but that could have been separate, I was tuned out towards the end of the last Sami return; IDK ... I've been tuning in and out honestly). That was that. May 2018 (maybe it was a month later?) and September (October? They are filming Halloween now, but I think Robin's been there for at least a month or two already but I could be wrong, dates elude me when I only sometimes glance at things ...) 2019 Vivian comes back ... LOL. It wasn't much more interesting than that really.

So we saw her alive (she was given the same serum that "saved" Will; but then he had no memory and I'm sure she still hers ... lol) and it makes sense he'd come back around to dealing with it. Yeah it all sounds ridiculous and it kind of is. I'm glad it's being addressed, I suppose, but I also wonder if it's even necessary at this point, she was left alive and "out there". But who knows what he has planned? LOL

I warmed up more quickly to Haiduk as Kristen than I ever thought I would (but I greatly prefer Haiduk as Susan), so ... who knows? I'm glad to see Robin Strasser on my screen again and I think it's fitting if anyone plays Vivian it be Louise's friend. And of course you have the Ron thing so of course he's all over this I'm sure LOL

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I love Robin to bits, so I'll be happy to tune in to see her. But she's going to catch hell for replacing Sorel. Also, I know Vivian is Vivian, but I just hope she doesn't just play basically the same OTT Dorian she often played in her last run on OLTL. She was always working hard and still did great work, but ever since JFP fired her in 2000 she often tried too hard onscreen, like she lived in fear of getting the axe again. It wasn't necessary to go to 11 so often.

Thank you for all that.

Edited by Vee

• Members

You're welcome

Please register in order to view this content

I agree 100%.

She overdid it and I think it was fear of getting the axe. Sounds similar to Susan Seaforth Hayes, mentioning how Reilly didn't like her or something and then when he brought back in 2004 she basically copped to hamming it up so to speak. She told it better (and of course didn't refer to herself as hamming it up, lol.) It was something along those lines ... 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I really like Robin, but I am disappointed to hear she is a Vivian recast. For one, Louise Sorel IS Vivian and anyone playing that part other than her is playing it in name only. If Louise didn't want to come back (and, indeed, she sounded like she was 'done' this last go around) they should have just left it be with Vivian on that gurney. 

Although Vivian is a *big* character, at her best writing she was menacing and silent and scary. I think someone like Anna Stuart would have been a much, much better recast for that kind of writing.

So my fear is that Robin is going to just play Dorian and go full ham.

• Members

I agree with this. Recasts and the constant back and forth of some soap vets gets tiresome and you do lose the essence.

I prefer the actors who originate the roles if at all possible. But it isn't possible in this case, I suppose, so ... I'm torn. I think she can do the job.

You do lose something with recasting though.

• Members

I also find it super distracting to have these iconic soap stars replacing each other. Louise and Robin are each so identifiable in their performance styles and mannerisms. Maybe it won’t be as distracting if you’re not prolific soap viewers like many of us here. But, like on ATWT, you had Ben Warren, Dixie Cooney, Todd Manning, Karen Wexler, Morgan Winthrop, Kayla Brady, et al, suddenly running amok in Oakdale, all played by actors not that far removed from their iconic roles, and in most of those cases, playing pivotal characters re-imagined to fit the performers and their tics. On DAYS, you’ll have Blair Cramer and Dorian Lord posing as Eve Donovan and Vivian Alamain. (KdP hasn’t even bothered to tame her Kentucky twang.) Why not just create new characters? I suppose it’s similar to Hollywood’s addiction to old IP and reboots. These old characters already have audience investment.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Yep.

One of my massive problems with ATWT it's last decade. Just too many soap hoppers. It's distracting to me. But on the flipside, so many 'fans' seem to simply just care about the actor and don't care who they're playing. 

But that's also a problem. Casting a 'name' from another soap and then having a directionless character not tied to anyone. Look how many DAYS fumbled ... and I sit there and wish they had been recasts of other characters. So ... lol. Like Melissa Archer as Serena. The character was a fail and it wasn't her fault. Maybe if she was Sarah she'd still be on the show. 

So I don't know what the solution is.

I don't always agree with Tom Casiello, but he made a similar point in a tweet that the casting thing is really part of what's killed the soaps, or something along those lines. It made sense but I'm not getting his tweet word for word.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Per her tweets, she's fully embraced the character actress chapter of her career, which she's always longed to grow into. She's said that she's put on weight and we shouldn't expect to see what we're used to (physically). My gut tells me she'll be serving the ham thickly sliced.

I wish I could find those clips of Marj Dusay as temp Vivian. I liked what little I saw.