Queer As Folk Reboot Bravo Bound

John

• Members

But I liked Noah's Arc. I would love to see how it would work now in today's time.

But I see what you mean. Younger these days does seem different than what it used to be. But that said...I do hope it's not going to be all Twinkville. On the other hand, I also don't want it to not be just ticking off a series of identity boxes either. I remember then that became an issue for LOOKING coming out of Season 1 and going into Season 2 even though Agustin, his Season 1 bf (off topic actor now playing OBAMA on the FIRST LADY and being in BLACK WIDOW...way to move up in the world), and Richie were all not white. 

But...let's see how it goes. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Watched all eight episodes. It’s a mess. It wants to capture this moment of inclusiveness and some of the varied experiences not usually portrayed in gay media (particularly surrounding characters with disabilities), and that’s all honorable, but it winds up biting off more than it can chew, and does its characters a huge disservice. They tap into a black queer drag community that comes through vividly, but the show pushes them to the margins. The characters QAF does focus on are rather flat and boring, aside from Jesse James Keitel’s trans character Ruthie.

They try to introduce soapier elements (borderline incestuous love triangles), but it all feels so desperate and forced. There’s one love triangle that happens late in the season that’s a real WTF. And what a shame to have a show set in New Orleans and not make more use of it.

The lead is the weakest of the cast (neither Brian nor Stuart were this unlikable and you could understand why they commanded such power over men—this guy Brodie just seems like a petulant child).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

They do have one episode where the city is really well-used late in the season, but where are the accents? There’s a unique feel to NO that the show doesn’t tap into.

It is worth a watch, I’d say, and some people seem to really enjoy it. I found it a letdown.