Queer As Folk Reboot Bravo Bound

John

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I actually think the “woke” aspect of the show was the only thing that worked… sure, the characters realistically would’ve faced more adversity in the face of being so othered, but it felt so refreshing to just have diversity in so many forms be featured, celebrated, and treated pretty authentically.  But, ya, there was admittedly a lot of wish fulfillment on the flip side.  And QaF was always a show that fearlessly faced bigotry, it didn’t pretend it didn’t exist (or minimize it).

My problem with this reboot was that it was on f-ing crack.  They did EVERYthing in 8 or however many episodes.  Literally burned through almost every couple combination and no one had to sit with any consequences from their or others’ actions.  That’s where I totally agree with your “no underlying character connection/compassion/emotional pull.”

Also, it was a mind f having the Michael/Lindsay amalgamation character in Ruthie!  Lol

• Members

I grew to enjoy this show, but it was very uneven. I loved the diversity of the cast, but I wish there was more show than tell, if that makes sense. I felt like the dialogue was very clunky over explaining everything instead of letting us learn about these characters in a more natural way. Once they got all the explaining out of the way there was a good show to be found. I do wish they got a second season to see if it continued to improve.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

None of it made sense or felt earned. Just a lot of plot-driven nonsense to add soapy appeal without understanding what soaps are about. It felt like he didn’t really understand his characters and therefore didn’t have a lot of confidence they would merit an audience’s attention without all the convoluted mess. Dunn needed to study Peyton Place and Knots Landing and write accordingly. But that type of approach probably wouldn’t have gotten this project greenlit.

I love seeing characters we don’t usually see represented, but if it’s not backed up with the basics of good writing, or even just good entertainment, it’s all for naught. The episode that focused on the sex party for disabled queer people had a lot of beautiful moments, but it would have hit harder if we had gotten to know Marvin a bit better beforehand. It felt like Dunn was writing this for short attention spans, thought he needed to address everything NOW, and self-sabotaged.