Queer As Folk Reboot Bravo Bound

John

@FaulknerI'm currently on episode five. Totally agree with you. It lacks the spark original recipe UK and the America version had. Thus far i'm not invested in any of the characters. At least the diversity feels organic not shoehorned. While not as horrible as the Gossip Girl reboot. It's just meh.  They should've saved the shooting for the season finale. Brodie & Mingus have no chemistry at all. Juliette Lewis is wasted. I like Kim Cattrall as Brodie's mom. But i've heard from spoilers. About her story, so i'm not looking forward to it.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Totally agree with this, by the way. The trauma would have had a greater impact if we knew the characters involved. But there’s a sense here that all the characters are defined by their traumas. And the shooting apparently was a key selling point to getting this reboot made, which is telling about how TPTB view queer lives.

One thing I miss here is that both previous versions presented characters as rooted in a larger context. They had jobs and other connections. (They made a big deal about hiring Ed Begley, Jr. for this new series, and he’s barely shown as Brodie and Julian’s dad.)

Aside from the brief aside about Noah’s lawyering job (and not making partner due to his rampant meth habit, an addiction which was largely dropped as a story), Ruthie’s teaching (which we don’t really see), and Julian’s quest to be a flight attendant (which we don’t see), the characters’ lives outside of screwing and clubbing go unexplored.  

Did you finish?

Edited by Faulkner

@FaulknerEveryone in the inner circle banging was a stupid idea. It takes show years before that happens. I just binge watched You're the Worst. It took most of that run for everyone to do that. I did like the Nathan Maloney mention.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Exactly! For example the INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE TV show coming soon...even as a period piece...has a particular vibe that screams New Orleans from what I've seen, heard, and read. 

Like the flawed GG reboot (which I admit what little I've seen I've liked), I will probably give it a try. I am just no longer in a rush to see it. But it might be something that I might find that I like. Again, I know GG has some flawed ideas, but what little I saw I liked and I felt given where technology is now, it has potential in seeing how that generation could go with it. 

• Members

This show was all over the place, but I enjoyed it. I feel like it had almost a self-contained feel episode-to-episode as the focus shifted between characters so the moments didn't feel earned. I enjoyed some of the characters more than I enjoyed the dialogue and storylines. My favorite characters were Judy, Brenda, Julian (my favorite) and Shar. They were the most fully-realised and fun to watch in a sea of trauma.

• Members

I think that Stephen Dunn just doesn’t quite have a command on the form, which is understandable, as he’s never overseen an entire TV series.

The casting for Brodie (and the characterization) really let them down too. Devin Way, while he’s 32, is too young-seeming, for one, so much so that he often seems like a peer or even younger than Mingus, the high school kid. (Maybe that was somewhat intentional, to downplay the problematic power differential or to drive home how immature Brodie is.)

But Brodie is super grating like a yappy dog. Both Aidan Gillen and Gale Harold had this world-weary confidence and intense sexuality where you understood why people were attracted to them (and Aidan G. wasn’t even that great-looking, which the UK series acknowledged).

• Members

I think everyone hooking up in the inner circle might have been done to show how humans now equate sex with connection/intimacy.  With everything being so wired for instant gratification, it would make sense that sex would be the go to for connection.

Maybe this is a subtle commentary on how instant gratification and sex have replaced genuine connections...and why all of these characters seem so lost and unsatisfied.

• Members

This series genuinely lacks the spark the original American series had. And neither series really represents me as a gay man. But I've begun re-watching the original American series and damn... it still is incredible. It's in the writing and the acting. This series is missing both (for the most part). 

• 1 month later...