Characters that didn't survive a recast...

• Members

Flipside to the other recast topic.

What characters were deemed popular and important enough to be recast, but when the new actor didn't click, the character was dropped - sometimes for good.

Two that come to mind

AMC

Angie Hubbard.When Debbi Morgan left for Generations,Saundra Quartermain was cast but Angie was dropped and only returned years later with Debbi again in the role.

Same with Liza Colby - Marcy Walker was replaced by Alice Haining but the written out until Marcy returned.

Can you think of others?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Natalie Dillon on AMC. Kate Collins left, and they replaced with Melody Anderson. What were they thinking? It was a disaster. She was killed off the next year.

Connor Walsh on ATWT. Another WTF recast with Luna Moody from OLTL replacing Allyson Rice-Taylor. Just a baffling decision from Felicia Minei Behr, one she reversed after massive fan derision. The character was unfortunately trashed (although I thought the character had gone through the ringer prior to the recast).

• Members

With Mac and Colleen on Y&R I think that was a little more nuanced. Colleen was successfully recast with Adrienne Leon who looked the part and had great chemistry with the cast. Had she not been fired due to her imaginary weight gain she could’ve been their next leading lady. Mac did have trouble with recasts though and I wish they hadn’t let Ashley Bashioum go for Rachel Kimsey. Had they hired Melissa Claire Egan as Mac I think she would’ve done well in the role. 

One very popular role that didn’t survive a recast is Mary Ryan on Ryan’s Hope. Kate Mulgrew was so popular in the role and the writers were very against the thought of recasting so I feel they sank any recast they got. The first recast was very good but she had no chance since she had no support. 

• Members

Lance Prentiss (Y&R).....After dark haired John McCook left the role, they recast with very blonde Dennis Cole. He lasted about a year or so before Bill Bell wrote the character out. 

Patty Williams( Y&R)......After Lilibet Stern left, they recast with Andrea Evans who only lasted a year and the character was not seen again for years. The character was brought back in the form of Stacy Haiduk and the character was now a psycho.

• Members

@Chris B Anyone else find it ironic that  the actor playing Traci's daughter was allegedly fired over weight! 

ATWT - Connor and Molly was two mammoth recasting failures - and ATWT was pretty solid in casting. But I have to add Jon Lindstrom as Craig - the character was dead to me. While HB was an eccentric Craig - his range and charisma made him watchable, but JL was so miscast that I FF through pretty much every Craig scene. 

• Members

Yeah, in addition to Connor and Molly the show failed epicly with that 1996 Paul Ryan recast(I forget his name), twice with Craig(Meek and Lindstrom) but also could never successfully recast Lucy either, and that 2008 Mike recast was blink and miss(mainly due to lack of story). 

I'd also add Joe Dietz as Alan-Michael on GL, who was totally miscast and then subsequently written off within six months after being in the role which had been a leading mainstay character for a good decade and it was almost a full decade before we saw A-M again. 

Kimberly Brady on Days didn't survive too long with Ariane Muenker/Ariana Chase playing the role and stopped being a regular character permanently. 

Archived