Y&R February 2018 Discussion

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked Genie as Genevieve on Y&R, but I know I was one of the few. The problem was fourfold.

1. She was one of Maria Arena Bell's out-of-the-blue hires, picked up to sock it to ABC and before MAB had conceived of an actual character. After her much hyped first scenes, it was hard to pin down exactly what was up with Genevieve, as her character seemed to zigzag with every SL turn.

2. She came on to prop up Cane. Nuff said.

3. Her arrival led to Jill (and Nikki to an extent) being aggressively sidelined. She was seen as a Jill replacement and fans were rightly pissed about that.

4. Even though she was ostensibly playing a strong female character, she was appalling treated by Jack, Victor, Colin, Cane and everybody. It was highly misogynistic and so I was kind of relieved when GF finally left the show, because the onscreen hate was too much. A little bit like how Maura West's Diane was treated by the other characters.  

Genie's departure did signal the impendingdeath knell of MAB's time on the show and, following that, of the Bell family's dominance over Y&R. After her tenure, CBS/Sony got the upper hand and imo the show has been

Please register in order to view this content

ever since.

Genie's promo hype (yikes, in hindsight) -- and her first Y&R scene:

• Members

You know what's ironic? Victor always gets these young attractive ladies and no fuss. But Nikki gets a smoking contractor and nobody buys it lol. I totally see Nikki hooking up with that hot contractor. 

I agree with more Ashley/Vikki. The dialogue is fun. I lol'ed when Vicki said, "I'm young." I also enjoyed Vikki calling Cane a chump basically. 

Show has improved so much on the dialogue front. And with the day to day episodes, it's much appreciated. Characters seem more in tuned with themselves, owing up to their mistakes and calling out others.

Edit: Smart choice using the Newman wealth to help low income people, because this show is too rich and it made no sense for these characters to pretend like they were broke.

• Members

I liked her, too.

However, I also agree with you about the reasons she was not liked. 

And the fact that as she was leaving on her last episode, Jill walks back in the same door was very telling.

Shame they don't have her first promos online anymore apparently because I found her menacing with colin and loved the music for it. Even Lily/Cane in it was chilling. 

• Members

I wasn’t watching that regularly during 2005, but they had to have acknowledged Bill Bell’s passing in some way, right? That would have been an unconscionable oversight if they didn’t.

Y&R has been lucky in that it hasn’t had the number of deaths of major cast members of the other long-running soaps. Other than Jeanne Cooper, Michelle Thomas, and Norma Donaldson, no one immediately leaps to mind. Terry Lester, Victoria Mallory, Donnelly Rhodes, K.T. Stevens, et al died years after they left.

• Members

Didn't Nikki once 'shack up' with Deacon at some fleabag motel?

My only quip with Nikki and the contractor is that it happened so fast. There was no buildup. Nikki wasn't shown on the site, perhaps low-key flirting with him, or all of a sudden wanting to take the lunch for the crew, instead of Nick.

Even the classic soap ONS usually has a bit more of a build.

Archived