Favorite soap opera fathers

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Without a doubt, Mac Cory on Another World.   He was a surrogate dad to all the characters who were not related to him on the show,  and it was a tremendous void on the show when Douglass Watson passed away in 1989.  It was always a treat each Christmas when Mac would toast the audience with his Christmas speech.  He was the absolute best!

• Members

By far, Mac Cory is the best Dad ever

AMC    Joe Martin, Tad Martin (mostly with J.R.)

AW   Mac Cory

ATWT  Chris Hughes, Bob Hughes, John Dixon

B&B     --

DOOL        Dr. Tom Horton, Doug Williams----Godfathers-Stefano DiMera and Victor Kiriakis

TD          Dr. Matt Powers. Dr Steve Aldrich

EON      Mike Karr, Del Emerson

GH    Dr. Steve Hardy, Rick Webber(pre 2000s rewrite), Robert Scorpio, Luke Spencer (CL writing), Edward Quartermaine, Alan Quartermaine   Lee Baldwin

GL     Alan Spaulding, Roger Thorpe, Ross Marler

LOV   Cabot Alden, Louie Slavinski, Alex Masters

OLTL  Bo Buchanon, Asa Buchanon, Larry Wolek

PC     Vuctor Collins, Scott Baldwin

RH Johnny Ryan, Ed Coleridge

SFT     Stu  Bergman

Y&R   John Abbott, Nick Newman

• Members

I love that so many SON posters are on the same page with this.  Rare.  Going show by show, here are some of my other faves-

AMC-  Joe Martin

AW- Michael Hudson (say what you will about him as a husband, but he was a damn fine dad)

ATWT- Hal Munson, Tom Hughes, Bob Hughes

B&B- There are no good fathers on B&B.  LOL  It's sad but so true.

DAYS- Dr. Tom Horton, Roman Brady, Shawn Brady, Bo Brady, Mickey Horton (though is he actually ANYONE'S father?  Not Sarah, Melissa, Mike, or Jennifer!  clue me in)

GH- Mac Scorpio

GL- Buzz Cooper, Ed Bauer

LOVING- Cabot Alden, Harry Sowolski

OLTL- Cord Roberts ( I think I just love Cord though- probably the soap character I'd most want to marry), Max Holden (tight race between he & Brad 

Carlton for most likely to have an affair with), Sam Rappaport (ok this one is a joke.  a cruel, cruel joke)

Passions- Sam Bennett

Santa Barbara- Lionel Lockridge, CC Capwell, Cruz Castillo, Rafael Castillo

SFT- Stu

Sunset Beach- Cole ( I kid but he IS a total DILF)   I guess SUN, like B&B, is pretty low on quality dads

Y&R- John Abbott, Brad Carlton (for real- he was and is a super dad), Nick Newman

• Members

Oh you're making me cry.  What a beautiful show Another World could be.  I truly believe that when AW left the airwives, daytime lost a HUGE, ICONIC piece of its heart.  And I have to say that, though I know you posted this as a tribute to Mac, that was a beautiful, quiet scene between Bridget and Vicky.  Anne Heche was a powerhouse even then and Barbara Berger gave great support.  Though AW fans always talk about Frankie Frame's cruel death via Fax Newman, this serves as a reminder that he first did away with Bridget, which is what started the cruelty.   It wasn't just the death of Frankie that helped kill AW, but the one-two punch of Bridget AND Frankie, especially so soon after killing off Ryan Harrison.  JFP was pretty cruel to the character of Vicky Hudson when it comes down to it, though I really think that she brought a vision with her to AW and executed it.  Say what you will about JFP's tenure, but she was the first EP to even have a vision for AW since Paul Rauch.

Either way, this was a beautiful, beautiful 7 minutes to watch and makes me yearn for the days of classic soap.

• Members

YES. No biological kids of his own, but a dad in every sense. I've always thought Mac was super boring, but his scenes being Robin and Maxie's dad have always been great. When Maxie was dying, going off to get Frisco for her likely knowing Frisco would [!@#$%^&*] all over his relationship with Felicia was just such a great act. And he got paid back by Frisco making another daughter for Mac to raise

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I'm trying to think if he's ever expressed the desire for a biological child. I can't remember him ever talking about it. More Scorpios would be good though. Is he still married to Felicia? I'd rather he just go without bio child than hook up with some young thing though!

Archived