Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just finished friday and while the Chloe/Kevin/Nick/Chelsea stuff puts me to sleep, Ashley is just a revelation under Sussman. It's amazing that she has no love interest (on a soap!) yet she is so compelling to watch! I'm happy to see this because typically these days if a woman doesn't have a love interest they don't matter. She's been written as such a smart and complicated woman and I LOVE it. I loved the scenes with Graham and also with Dina. This story keeps surprising me and giving me a reason to tune in. I'm glad they hopefully cleared up that Dina isn't sick. That would be too obvious and a waste of a great character. I hope the actual twist is more dramatic than that.

• Members

Graham looks to have a dark side, he definitely seems to be controlling Dina in some way. It's a mini-mystery and it gives Ashley something else to do. Maybe Traci can get in on solving that.

It's weird that Jack only mildly seems intrigued by it all. Perhaps he thinks 'if Mother's happy...' 

Does it add anything for Billy and Phyllis to move in together?  Or is this just to move Billy out of the mansion before Jill and Colin return? 

• Members

It's about time they started doing more with Graham.

i agree about Ashley. Characters used to be able to stand on their own. Now I see people wonder who their love interest will be and if they don't have a kid they aren't relevant ... characters shouldn't be defined by a coupling

• Members

Honestly, I feel like they ruined the redemption of Sharon by putting her with Scott. I don't want to see Sharon kissing ANYBODY! She still has chemistry with Nick when they're together, but since they put her with Scott not only do they not have chemistry, but she's isolated. I liked seeing her at work and with Mariah and Faith. I would've kept her in that type of role and when enough time has passed just put her ass back with Nick. If she absolutely sparkles with someone cool, but we've seen her paired with so many people over recent years that I was enjoying the break.

Also, I don't even like Judith Chapman's Gloria (JVA for life!) but I do think it's unfortunate they don't feature her relationship with Jack more. It's ageist. They finally pair him with an age-appropriate love interest and the one love scene they got was played for laughs, which could be shrugged off considering their history, but since then we get nothing. We see they've gotten closer, but we're not allowed to see it. No matter how old he is, if Jack was with Phyllis or another young character like Juliet they'd have love scenes. It's obvious their relationship isn't featured because Gloria is old. You can argue Nikki and Victor are still a frontburner couple, but they're also one of the most popular soap couples of all time so they don't really have a choice there.

• Members

I agree they shouldn't have paired Sharon with anyone but that doesn't ruin her reset IMO.

Gloria and Jack's relationship isn't featured because it's awful. It makes no sense. No one cares about them. I doubt it's because she's old they don't get love scenes. Jack's not exactly a spring chicken either.

• Members

It doesn't ruin her redemption but it does taint the narrative of Sharon being a woman focused on school, building the business and her children by making it about Scott and Sharon's relationship.  I don't know what this pairing does for either one of them, TBH.  

And while I'm being honest, I have to admit that Sharon's conversations with Nick have been far more interesting than her conversations with Scott.

With Scott, I feel she is constantly rehashing her past and repeating assertions that she's already made.

At least in her last conversation with Nick when she relayed a fact about her past it was tied in with a relevant storyline (Chloe's suicide) and Sharon actually revealed something that she'd never talked about before (whether she'd ever considered suicide while in the depths of her  depression).

They started out with Sharon having good ideas about the direction she wanted to take the coffee-house. I thought she'd be meeting with distributors, etc to dramatize some of those ideas. She also seemed animated when discussing her volunteer work. I find this stuff, not a budding romance, interesting.

As for Jack, while I have no desire to see him with some 'young thing', I have no desire to see him with Gloria and age has nothing to do with it.  Jack should've been returned to his 'Smilin' Jack rogue roots.

It's one thing to have a ONS with Gloria, fine (and if they played it for laughs, they shouldn't have) but he should've also been wining and dining the real estate agent that showed Abby the warehouse that he has known for ages.

Jack just got out of a heartbreak situation, why not have him date several women- try to 'get over' Phyllis by 'getting under' a bevy of paramours? 

• Members

Perhaps TPTB thought that Sharon Case could make Scott interesting.  But even she can't do that.  The actor himself is OK, he's attractive (and I for one love his hair) but he doesn't have any charisma.  It wouldn't matter how good the writing or the story is IMO because this guy, while pretty, just doesn't have it.  As opposed to Jordan - I believe if they put that actor in the right story, he'd improve with time.  

I don't wanna see PB/Jack in bed with anyone.  

• Members

That was implied. We didn't see him in bed with Gloria but it was implied/stated that they 'did the deed'.  

I wasn't suggesting that we see it onscreen. Just that it's implied, maybe in phone conversations or over dinner, etc. 

I don't want to see that either.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

LOL 

I will make one exception to that.  IF Jack wanted to stick his toe in the other side of sexual pool, and hooked up with David Beckham  and only if PB had the covers pulled up to his neck while Davy Boy sauntered around in his skivvies... I'd watch that!!

• Members

+2

They definitely thought Sharon would be the making of him. They were hoping her popularity would rub off same way JFP finally bit the bullet and paired Dylan with her hoping she's finally make fans care about him. 

Archived