Y&R: April 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

so hard at Paul talking about them heading down the aisle next. How are they watching dailies of all these fail pairings stinking up the show and instead of doing some coarse correction they're doubling down on them? Do they really think the drama from the Christian paternity reveal or an Adam return down the line is worth ignoring the fact that this couple isn't working? Same with Billy & Victoria, Jordan & Hillary, Gloria & Jack, Ravi & Ashley...I mean name a couple currently on screen and I'll show you a pairing with no chemistry or sex appeal. Its detrimental to the show

@ajsp35801 I would have used his father figure role for Connor from the last time Adam "died" to slot him back in and then have Chelsea figure out Bella's paternity and him realize Chloe blew up the cabin but neither tell the other while they reconnect. Then when it was time for Chloe to exit blow both secrets up.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

None of the pairings are working. I don't care for any of them. I don't know why they are still trying to make Billy and Victoria happen. The pairing has zero chemistry and only ooze boredom. I blame it on Amelia because she sucks as an actress and hasn't had any chemistry with any of her pairings.

• Members

Laughable moment: Ravi telling Phyllis that she's beautiful, intelligent and that it'll happen for her someday. Such ridiculous, forced writing that Phyllis has been reduced to an asexual cookie-cutter tech geek telling her that if she gets lucky, some guy will want her. 

As predicted, the arc has followed the Pratt template to perfection. EH/MCE are magic and you could tell in EH's scenes with GR and KL that this is the end for a while. 

I wonder how CB felt about being back in the CM? Surprise: Mariah makes Gloria interesting. CG/JC have a nice little vibe going. Love Gloria touching Mariah top (again). 

• Members

"Paging Dena Higley..."

But seriously.  I realize SS hasn't the greatest track record, but I just can't believe she and she alone is responsible for Y&R falling flat these days.  CBS and Sony must be interfering, because they don't trust the writers OR Mal Young to handle this show.

• Members

Correct. There is absolutely NO doubt that no network/executive today would allow a soap to flourish creatively in a good way too much. Even if SS is capable of it, they wouldn't allow too much of it. But come into a meeting and tell them a Mexican doppelganger will rape someone and decapitate a cat, they're all like "Yaaaaaaaaas! Bring it!"

And, sadly, so is (most of) the audience.

• Members

But, you know, I keep asking myself whether this meh-ness is just another part of Sally's gameplan.  Remember when Kay Alden was (allegedly) up for the HW'ing gig at AMC?  And she (allegedly) told Brian Frons she would have to write a year with no Huge Twists That Will Change Pine Valley FOREVER!! because the show had become TOO outrageous?  I wonder if the same thing isn't happening here.  Maybe Sally (and Kay and Mal) are giving Y&R time to reset itself with smaller, quieter stories after a decade of damaging OTT drama from LML, MAB, Pratt and others.

Two alternate theories:

1) Sally is following Marland's advice and not doing anything drastic for six months (which it hasn't been yet...right?) in order to see what actually works and what doesn't.

2) Sally has realized, as many here have realized, that there is just so much one can do with a show saddled with an inordinate amount of "dead weight" characters.

• Members

I feel like I should be ashamed of liking Y&R a lot.  I thought the Chloe/Chelsea stuff was really well acted and I was glued to their scenes.  Y&R is the only soap I feel drawn to.  Maybe it's just old age!

• Members

I doubt Sally knows who Marland is.

Please register in order to view this content

And nothing is working right now on this show. None of the pairings work...its a snoozefest.

Then start giving out pink slips. This is clearly what Sally wants. She brought back awful Gloria ...I think she was her first hire back....Giving her the lead in Lauren's story. She clearly knows what she is doing and it stinks. She only writes these ridiculous 3 week arcs.

• Administrator

I thought MCE and EH were really good today.  Those scenes could've been a lot better with Y&R's classic background music.  I just don't understand why Mal is keeping JFP's music.  Also the decision not to show the fight was a mistake.  I hate it when soaps don't show the action sequence.  They just show the beginning and then they go to commercial.    Also, if the ring was going to be how Chelsea found out, then the ring should've played a bigger part in the story. 

Archived