Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Members

The earlier years look better than season 10 and on.  The height of the show which was the 1980-1981 season looks pristine.

I think they should've kept Tyler Banks. He looks more like Sue Ellen and JR son than Omri.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The bathroom scene from S07, Ep8 remains the most memorable for me.  The costumes for the Oil Baron's Ball were photographed for the promotional images for the 1983 season.  I remember thinking Sue Ellen's gown was stunning (although in hindsight her post-fire hair was not flattering).  I'm also endlessly amused at the sparing match between Jenna and Katherine.  And, Katherine's dismissal of Afton, cements her role as a bitch. 

But, it made me wonder, does anyone else feel like the writing of the relationship between Pam and Sue Ellen was inconsistent throughout the seasons?

In this scene Sue Ellen says that they're "friends", which was true.  But some seasons it seems like Sue Ellen and Pam are rivals, due to the animosity between JR, Bobby, and Cliff (or when Pam tries to judge Sue Ellen's drinking).  Other times they seem like confidants, like during Sue Ellen's first divorce from JR.  And then there are seasons when it was like they barely knew each other, such as when Sue Ellen seems to never comment on Pam's disappearance after her car accident.  It makes me suspect that BTS feelings among the actors played a part in the lack of scenes which would have shown the developing friendship between the characters.

What is your take on the Pam/Sue Ellen relationship?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'd assume they wanted to SORAS John Ross a bit so he could do a bit more than be a baby. Tyler Banks also hasn't "acted" since Dallas, so who knows if he even could.

I think most of all, Dallas just wasn't that good at writing for female characters, period. 

• Members

Well, its certainly true that JR, Bobby, and Cliff were written with consistency throughout the show.  JR, scheming to maintain his family business, prizes loyalty and dominion.  Bobby, nice guy, values traditional male roles of being a husband and father.  Cliff a loser due to his envy, feels robbed of not having everything that everyone else has.

Whereas Sue Ellen starts off as Lady Macbeth, willing to overlook JR's faults as a means to an end of gaining power and status, then becomes a victim, and then an ersatz gril-boss.  And Pam was interesting at first because we didn't know her motives, she seemed sweet, while at the same time she seemed like she could be a countenance to JR when Bobby was too weak to fight.   But later she becomes a perpetual victim with just minor sparks of anger to remind us of what she used to be.