Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Hillary and Mariah didn't do the same thing and they are not in the same league in terms of power, so I don't see why they would face similar consequences.  Hillary repeatedly lied to her own husband and sabotaged his plans. She used her power over an employee to bully and humiliate that person.  Mariah fought back in a non physical way. I do think what Mariah did was wrong and I think she should probably face some push back for using a charity to seek revenge. 

The way Neil yelled at Hillary like she was a dog was way OTT though. At one point he said what she did to Mariah was evil. I just rolled my eyes at that. It was wrong, but it certainly wasn't evil. Evil would be kidnapping a woman on her honeymoon and letting her husband think she's dead, then having sex with her when she was still not fully in her right mind.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Correct. Which was all I was saying. 

Jack absolved Mariah of responsibility by saying her stunt was a benefit to the charity. It was a good thing. 

Oh, let's see everyone but jack sh!t on Hilary. Everyone but sharon praised mariah. And that's not lopsided? And I have no cause to point it out? 

Hilary is the new  Sharon. 

• Members

Yes. He didn't have sex with her while she was his captive, but she was still not fully herself. They also changed the story midway through. At first it was about revenge, but then things shifted and Neil just wanted to get Hillary better before telling Devon. Trust me, you didn't miss a thing worth seeing.

• Members

It's not lopsided, Mariah's transgression was minor compared to Hillary's. There's more writing for Hillary because Mariah is only supporting in the story. We don't even know what  consequences will be. Devon is usually mad for a little while so it's probably no big deal. But like I said even if they divorce Hillary's sitting pretty financially. I'd love to see what she'd do with all that money. She'd be pissed off and wealthy it could be fun.

• Members

It's not lopsided. Two separate people are in the wrong for doing different things. . You don't care for Mariah, so no matter what gets written, you are going to call it lopsided. I like both characters and there is plenty to appreciate what both bring to the table...They are not Abby and Summer. They aren't vapid. Both are smart, both are tough. With all the bad things they have had Hilary do over the last few years, we still get to see the good side of her, like giving money to the woman on Thanksgiving. 

• Members

OMG how could I not think of Jill. If Hillary got half of Katherine's money in a divorce Jill would lose her mind!

Which could bring out the old Jill. She would fight that like she fought Kay in the early days. OK, I know I'm hoping for too much now, but it would be old fashioned soapy good.

• Members

That's not true. I'm more than capable of being impartial. 

And at this point I do not like Mariah. That's mostly because of how things are written. If it was more even keel, I wouldn't have a problem with this at all. I don't do propped characters. All it does it make me dislike them. I'm currently hating billy for the exact same reason. 

• Members

No, you're not impartial We've seen it in nearly 150 pages the last month and a half about how everyone has it out for Hilary, from the writers to the characters to the fans.... Mariah has been wasted on the back burner for quite a long time. She finally has a story of her own at GCBuzz that doesn't involve keeping her mother's secrets. She's not being propped, just being used better. 

• Members

Oh please. Vee was just accusing me of disliking Hilary cause I had something to say about the terrible writing and felt it was doing a disservice to other characters while pushing her. Just stop! 

The people who can't be impartial are folks who keep telling me that they are willing to look over Hilary being crapped on for Mariah cause....mariah finally has story of her own instead of supporting Sharon and is off the back burner? That continues to come up in debate instead of the actual facts on what's being written. 

• Members

For the moment, though, Hilary is involved with Neil's adopted offspring, with whom Neil is still close.  Also, Y&R's African-American characters tend to remain inside their own story bubble.  So, although I DEFINITELY agree with you, Darn, that Neil needs his own story away from Hilary, I'm struggling with figuring out the right way to do that.

Honestly, I think the damage that Charles Pratt, Jr. did to KSJ's once-respectable character is just too insurmountable.  IMO, he needs to go the way of the late Nathan Hastings.

Archived