Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agree.  As played as PB, Jack just can't measure up to John as Abbott family patriarch.

In fact, aside from Ashley and Traci, I don't see what purpose the Abbotts serve anymore on Y&R.

I've been wanting to follow Sally Sussman's lead and just overlook or sidestep the past ten years.  However, I have to say that doing so is...tough.  Many, many characters are damaged, IMO, and it's not so easy to overlook that fact.

• Members

You weren't wrong. She was verging on silent film territory toward the end of her conversation with Jack.

Please register in order to view this content

+1. And it's affected characterization because the less soap writers focus on traditional soap archetypes they have to skew the canvas to ridiculous degrees to keep the show watchable. That coupled with incessant moral relativism has almost totally ruined modern soap operas.

• Members

I think the show has improved...but it's only been a month...and Rome wasn't built in a day. 

I think Sussman is trying the re-establish character and motivation...while trying to finish off pratt's stories.  Mariah vs hilary started under Pratt...and I'm hoping that it wraps up..or changes the them teaming up...since Mariah isn't exactly a goody goody.

With that said...a visit de om gloria on occasion is ok...but she's too over the top.  I like more subdued performances.....kinda wish that Ashley was recast with Brenda E ( the Ashley I remember)

Archived