GH: December Discussion

• Members

There was some gold in that history that could have been mined; not sure if RC could have done it justice. Geary had plenty to say about it not being written the way he wanted, but he never should have been pandered to all those years. I enjoyed him being unhappy about it and I figured they finally did something right.

Steve Burton did pretty much the same thing. Both of them demanded that their characters not become "domesticated," as if they were action heroes instead of soap actors. They wanted to be movie stars and thought soaps were beneath them. Too bad their wish had come true so we would have been rid of them years ago. Let people who want to work and have enough humility to be grateful have those jobs.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tony Jones was the original rapist?  Source?  I've never heard that before.

Yeah the original story with Liz quickly became a story for Lucky and Luke, not Liz or Laura.  I hated Lucky acting the way he did for so long.  Instead of growing up it turned him into a petulant brat.  I thought his initial anger was very justified, but by the end I was sick of him and poor tortured Luke.  Puke.

• Members

Yep. I remember that. It never sat well with me either. I'm glad they're all gone. I hope Burton doesn't grace GH again now that he's going to be unemployed. I prefer Miller as Jason. I felt for a long time that Mo would bolt or be gone too, especially when Frank and Ron first came on and Sonny had little airtime and no story but that quickly changed. Sonny hasn't been as awful as he was under Guza but I wouldn't have lost any sleep if he left. There were quite a few times over the last few years they should have just written him out. I think Mo realizes he wants a paycheck.

• Members

I do not have direct proof, but I do remember speaking with friends at the time of Liz's rape story in the 90s, and they mentioned that Tony was drinking and blacked out at around the same time that Liz's rape occurred.  So, I'm guessing that making Tony the rapist was an idea probably tossed around and then dropped.  Back then, that would have been considered "writing a character into a corner".  These days, there seems to be none of that logic.  There seems to be no justice, leaving faithful viewers with very mixed emotions.  

• Members

They took the Tony Jones character to a very dark place and villainized him when they had him be mean to poor Jason after his surgery, thaw out Stavros and kidnap Robin and Michael. I never heard they considered making him Elizabeth's rapist but it seems like more of the same. Brad Maule played tortured and angry better than most GH actors.

• Members

The destruction of Tony around that time period made me so sad. What a waste, even though Brad Maule played the absolute hell out of it. I didn't blame him at all when he asked to be killed off in 2006 (was it 2006?).

However, Alan and Georgie's deaths still bother me a lot. I was sick of Emily even though the character probably shouldn't have been offed either.

• Members

Brad Maule was probably exhausted from all of that villainy.

Those three deaths still bother me too. NL's version of Emily was intolerable but a recast or even bringing back AT would have worked for me.

Georgie didn't need to die, especially when they left her obnoxious sister alive and being played by someone who had considerably less talent than LL. GH needed more good young women to balance all of its pit viper Carly characters.

Alan might have needed a recast because SD's health was so precarious for a time. Last I heard (some time ago) he had improved but who knows if he's able to work or even if he wants to now.

• Members

Brad was excited by what they were doing when he knew it was a two year arc.  But he assumed they were going to continue to invest in Tony and build him back up.  When that didn't happen,  and the writing bias became so specific to Sonny's orbit only he started speaking out in frustration.

• Members

I've known a few actors and they say playing villains and vixens can be fun for a time, but it's not something they would want to do long-term.

Peter Bergman said in an interview years back that his kids loved it when Jack was in villain mode because it made their dad a lot easier to live with when he got it out of his system at work.

• Members

Over the years, I've heard two stories about GH's plans for Liz's rape.  One was that the show had planned for Tony to be revealed as the rapist.  The other was that Liz would never know who had raped her and that he would essentially go uncaught.

Archived