Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Going to miss Anders for sure Alan Dale has been so wonderful on this show I am glad he was used to to his full potential (unlike his role on X-Files where that show absolutely wasted him). 

I was surprised to see Heather Tom directed the episode, she did a really great job. I heard she will be directing another one in a couple weeks. Good for her as its definitely got to be a refreshing change from the mess that B&B gives her. 

Jeff in Space? LOL I did think that was pretty random. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I don't know which is a weirder character trait, (1) Jeff's desire to go to space after tripping on ayahuasca (which they seem to be unable to name directly on prime-time TV), (2) the fact that he keeps referring to himself as a billionaire, or (3) his devotion to Gucci suits.

I am growing a little tired of the repetitive pacing of each episode, manic setup, someone suddenly becomes rational, momentary solutions are found, some sentimental emotional scene, and then a shocking kicker.

Also, the production issues of having Alexis and Liam missing in several episodes becomes a glaring issue for continuity.  Their responses to this evening's plots were missed.  But, still I'm hopelessly devoted.

• Members

I think that has to do with saving money - last season I think only Fallon, Blake and Sam appeared in every episode. While I actually enjoy the approach of not forcing themselves to write for each character to make an appearance in each episode (and in all honesty, mostly don't notice it), I thought both Liam and Alexis's absence this episode seemed pretty blatant. Since they're not writing Alexis as a sociopathic monster in this version anyway, I would've liked to see her feel guilty about Kirby's situation.

I also thought it was silly how they had to make the "coke" into flour at the end - it took away from the gravity of the situation Sam / Culhane has gotten themselves into and wasn't even funny enough to make it worth it (we didn't even see Sam in the dumpster).

• Members

While I would never claim to be an expert on the subject, one tends to believe that flour and cocaine would be packaged very differently.

I was also thinking that Dynasty would benefit from a consistent cast of ATL socialites.  Much like OG Dallas had Marylee and the Cartel, Dynasty needs some consistent backstory of characters to determine The Carrington's status in Atlanta.  This week we had the fashion lady who knew Fallon, a few weeks ago we had those ladies who lunched with Alexis (who were all missing from the fashion event of the year this week), and there are the board members from Adam's hospital.  However, without a consistent set of b-characters there's no stakes when the Carrington Clan screws up with the society monsters.  I have no sense of how the ladies of Atlanta feel about Alexis's return, or how Fallon is received amongst her peers. 

The guy who tried to ruin Fallon's European land deal seems to have disappeared along with any mention of her IPO in this episode.  I feel like a soap needs a running set of characters to speak for the audience like a greek chorus.  Otherwise, we'll never know if Fallon still has her table at the Four Seasons, or what happened to the Assistant Editor that she had to hire.  The gossip show was a good step in establishing a sense of place, but we need more to figure out how rich and famous the Dynasty has become.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Whatever happened to Fallon's IPO?

Her company consists of a publishing house and a home shopping network; so it is two failing industries for the price of one? That's no way to build a Dynasty.  Watch next week when Fallon adds a cruise line, some shopping malls, and a pantyhose factory to her company.

Who would hire an assistant that gossiped about their boss's surgery secrets at their second meeting?

Am I the only one who thought the spa manager and the assistant were played by the same actress? Also, doesn't a tennis bracelet feel like a high price to pay for a scam?

Please tell me Liam isn't going to betray Fallon with Dom just because she's busy and that final look was just him being suspicious about the hire at FSN.

Meanwhile, that opening gets me excited every week!

Edited by j swift

• Members

The repetitive nature of sin and redemption for Fallon is getting a little old.  14 episodes in a row, she doesn't listen to someone who loves her, then gets in trouble, her loved one forgives her, there's some sad music, and then next week it starts all over again as if she's learned nothing.

Why is there no character development?  Why is everything resolved each week?  Why do people like Fallon if she keeps ignoring their feelings every time she gets stressed out?

• Members

Am I the only one that just got the joke that her company's name is Fallon Unlimited, aka FU? I kept thinking it was such an odd name for a company until I got the humor of it.

If I was writing the show then I would pair Colin with Amanda in order to further her alienation from Fallon.  However, nobody's asked me, I don't own Final Draft software, and my spelling is atrocious.  So, there goes that plan...

Edited by j swift