Soaps worst recasts

• Members

Every time I saw him on GL, all I could think was..."What the Hell is dead Mark Jennings doing in Springfield?". The only co-star I enjoyed his scenes with was Bryan Buffinton(Bill Lewis, Jr). I remember them in a scene and he was very good in the father/son chat. I was glad when Jordan Clarke was able to return to the role. He was the best!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd also have to say Philece Sampler as Donna on AW. The bad decision to write Donna as a victim had started during Anna Stuart's last months on the show, but it got even worse with Sampler. She also had no chemistry with Kale Browne. She felt like a stranger. I ended up just laughing at her Donna by the time the John triangle got into gear. 

She felt more like Donna in her last months, but by then she was on the way out.

• Members

SOD called Sampler "scream queen Donna" when they were reviewing 1987 eps when they started airing on SoapNet in 2003. She was indeed pretty bad. Oddly I found Sophia Landon Grier as a temp cast pretty good. 

While the usual classic "gems" like Rhaymer, Batten, Ann Hamilton, Heinle Shattuck,, and Geoffrey Scott have been mentioned I'll also throw in: 

-Tracy Middendorf as Carrie on Days

-Michael Dietz as Alan-Michael on GL

-Christina Chambers as Molly on ATWT

-Spencer Grammer as Lucy ATWT

-Alan White and Daniel Cosgrove as Chris ATWT

-Eden Rigel as Heather on Y&R

-Tammin Sursok as Colleen Y&R

-Crystal Hunt as Lizzie GL

-Jodi O'Keefe as Maggie AW

• Members

Justin Hartley on Y&R. 

Amazing what wonders an actually talented actor can do turn around a previously squandered character written into a corner. Hartley's above the written dreck, and it sounds like he's not long for this show at all. 

• Members

It wasn't the last good recast, but IMO there are a couple of roles on GL that were very successful repeatedly recasted.  I liked all the Dinahs - after Wendy Moniz I couldn't imagine anyone else but Gina Tognoni was great.  Likewise all the Blakes were good...Elizabeth Dennehy, Sherry Stringfield and then Liz Kiefer.  I thought all 3 were great. 

• Members

By far, the worst recast ever was Roger Howarth as Paul Ryan on ATWT. He had two acting styles: The Blank Stare and The Sputtering Freak-Out. Just an awful actor. Of course Susan Batten was not far behind, as she took the character of Connor from a captivating, business-savvy exec matching wits with Lucinda Walsh to an air-head playing in a tree-house with Fabio-like Mark Kasnoff.

Scott Holmes and Ellen Dolan are in that middle group of recasts...not really bad, just a step down from their predecessors, and very, very boring.

The one recast I was surprised at was Mary Ellen Stuart, who followed Julianne Moore,. Moore had a better storyline, and had the juicy Frannie/Sabrina stuff going on, but I thought Stuart flowed seamlessly in to the role.

• Members

Aside from the aforementioned "usual suspects"---and honestly Batten as Connor should be in some kind of cautionary Hall of Shame for recasts...

Doug Wert/Scott Eldridge/ATWT

Daniel Pilon/Alan Spaulding/GL

Austin Peck/Brad/ATWT

Nancy St Alban/Michelle/GL

Beth Chamberlain/Beth/GL

• Members

I remember that, because the Nikki recast at the time greatly resembled and acted like Molly and was a decent actress actually. 

I remember Austin Peck's first day as Brad on ATWT, they found a way to rip his shirt off pretty quickly. James E. Reilly would have been proud!

Archived