HBO: Westworld

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Now that I've had some time to think about it...I think I will say the same.

LOVE the first half of Season 3. This dystopian world with its hints of cyberpunk. The mystery of what Dolores was up to. The mystery of who was the 5 orbs. The status of MiB. And questions of who was NuCharlotte. And not to even mention who is the man who has Maeve and what was his purpose since it seems it was HE buying up all the Delos stock. There was a lot going on...and the twists to get there (Maeve attempt to escape, the reveal of the orbs and thus NuCharlotte was EXCELLENT...and the identity crisis that emerged from that reveal)

But then it was became MEH. 

Did I miss the scenes explaining the big globe? Oh, wait...there's TWO of these things? Oh, Caleb is someone Dolores met so that meeting in the park at the end of Episode 1 might have been set up? But wait...Dolores wants to SAVE humanity? And then to have Benard off in some subplot for reasons that made no sense...and what his name is a robot, too...? It was just sloppy writing that could have used tightening up because it did not seem clear to me versus the first 4 episodes where everything was well paced out. 

There was still highlights at the end. Love the return of Clementine and Shogun Assassin Chick. I would have to say Charlotte's arc was good right up until the post credit scene. And that post credit scene was WOW. And I loved Dolores vs Maeve Round 1 (Round 2...mmmm not as much lol). It was a long time coming and worth the wait for me. 

However, saying all of this...the fact it is STILL on my mind and while the simplest of all three seasons, it was still kinda heady. BUT they could have done all that so much better. But then again, this season might be like Season 2 to me where I like it better on a rewatch. 

And I believe Season 4 (now airing) is now on Episode 3...

But...let's bust out that Season 4 trailer...

Please register in order to view this content

...because I am curious about the new mystery that is Christina.

• Members

The magic is back.

Watched the first 3 episodes of Season 4. I don't know how to describe it without saying...Through the Looking Glass. There are quite a few callbacks to Season 1 for sure. And at the same time...some things are mirroring it. And that no more clearer than in the curious tale of 'Christina...'

Season 1 was about Dolores's journey to self awareness. So far, that is the case with this 'Christina.' Since she's not Dolores because Dolores is gone...then who is she? Where is she? And given who shows up in the coda of the first episode, the mystery of her is on and it is already twisty but intriguing. 

Maeve got a few echoes as well so far. And she's connected to the main plot of the season. Her and Caleb. And the twist in Episode 2 as they go to find who is after them and why was awe strucking (with sprinkles of humor as only Maeve can do). But speaking of that...there's a LOT of humor which I did not feel was around last season.

I would almost say Bernard's storyline is the weakest so far. But even that is intriguing (with a cameo of a past character at that...looks like the writers got the memo that fans were missing a lot of the past characters) in what he does and/or doesn't know. 

And I would be lying if I didn't suspect that different timelines were again in play this season...which was missing from last season versus Season 1 and 2. However, the storyline still feel pretty straight-forward like Season 3 was. But there's intrigue, mystery, body horror, and enough of the old headiness of the first few seasons to make me want to see what happens next. And again...I do like all the past characters coming back. 

Can't wait to see how it goes and do hope it does stick the landing which I felt Season 3 did not. 

• Members

Episode 4

Now about that plot twist...LOL!!!

Yep.  I knew we were back to dueling timelines. And with that in mind...it still fell into place with all the plots converging.

I guess the only piece of the puzzle that needs clarity is Christina. As of right now, it seems like it's happening at the right pace. But I am starting to wonder if Delores is the only one who knows where the Valley Beyond is, that maybe that is where Christina is. Or dare I say it, with the plot twist if the Valley Beyond was found, giving us what is going on with Christina. 

As of right now, Season 4 is giving Season 1 vibes for sure and worth a checkout for those who dropped it in Season 3. 

Edited by Taoboi

• Members

This is a comment I was hoping for. Have only been browsing through the rest not to spoil myself. I LOVED season 1 and season 2 was decent to good and a natural conclusion. Seacon 3 started off really well, but by episode 5 it took a nosedive and never recovered from it. Some episodes of third season 3 were just unwatchable. We watched the bonus material on DVD to understand "Mrs. Nolands" ambitions - it just did not work for us. Judging by these interviews, she's a semi-skilled writer and lacks her husband's (who was MIA for most part of season 3) gift to translate super complex material into gripping and thought thru material. Season 3 still had its moments, though.

• Members

OMG, last night's episode has been on my mind all day. So far, this new season has been great with the...echoes...it has been doing to Season 1. So many echoes...

I loved in Season 1 the self-discovery that Delores went on...and there's a lot of that with the mystery of Christina. And without spoiling anything, there's been some twists and turns to that. 

This season so far has been centered on Maeve and Caleb and that was so apparent last night. But between the leads (Dolores, Maeve, Bernard) in the past, Maeve was always the most fascinating of them and she's been kicking a#$ and taking names up to now. And while everyone appears connected to the main plot twist last night...Maeve and Caleb most definitely were. And it so connected to things from the past seasons as well. 

Oh, I agree. re: Season 3. I might do a rewatch on it someday like I did with Season 2 (which is much better on a rewatch I found) because right now...I can see why people here felt a way about it. And I agree it nosedived with Episode 5 for me as well. Still had good moments, but that was just...meh. Oh, I have not watched any extras so did not know her husband was not around. Yeeah I can see that. I felt there was heady stuff there, but it really did not make sense at the same time. 

I definitely feel like it's back on form now. They just need to stick the landing. They set up some interesting possibilities going forward by converging enough of the plot that the audience can see the part of the picture, but there are still enough puzzle pieces (like the mystery of Christina, some returns, Benard's time in the Sublime, the timelines starting to line up) out there, that one wants to see where they are going with it...and what message will it say...if one...

• Members

Season 4 looks so good! I can't wait to watch it, but DAYS and B&B has been keeping me busy lately. Plus, I still catch up to see what's going on in politics. I guess since Covid, my friends are always talking about new television shows and I get so swamped up! Because half the things they suggest isn't worth watching while others are addictive. This looks so good and I'm sure I'll be puzzled as sci-fi does that to me.

Edited by Noel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Episode 7

And finale next week!! 

I will give credit where credit is due. I'm all down for a good girlfight on this show. And I LIKED that one. If I had any problem with it...it was over too soon. 

I will also say that the last few episodes have definitely given me lots to think about week to week since the reveal of Episode 4. So it has not been bad for me. As I've said before the mystery of Christina, the reveal of her situation, and how it ties into the rest of the show as she goes on a similar self-discovery of who she is like Delores did in Season 1 has been a great draw. But post Episode 4...the writers have been treading water though littering it with answers along the way. However, there have been more questions. And she WAS the cliffhanger this week and I still am not sure if she is who I think she is...or someone completely new. But given the last few episodes...it cannot be the latter...right?

The show has slowly been foreshadowing a return to the Sublime in some form. And being able to see returning characters with Bernard there as he tries to save the future has been fun. But his storyline just hit a brick wall. So barring the finale next week...what was the point?

One cannot mention the Sublime without thinking of Maeve's daughter and wondering if a reunion is finally coming. Guess we will see.

And speaking of circling...I suspect the writers are circling back to the Season 2 Post-Credit Scene finally. But won't know for sure until next week...though I feel the beginning for that started tonight. 

This episode was nuts, given Episode 5's aftermath of Episode 4 and Episode 6 haunting twistedness with Caleb, that the writers might have lost their footing again like they did last season. The episodes have been great, fascinating, and touching on themes of identity and what that means again...but it feels uneven. 

PS. Maeve + Bernard. And that him with Stubbs was a good team-up.  They were fun, too. 

Edited by Taoboi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's been almost two weeks and it is still haunting me. Just on my mind. I even kinda sorta binged through it again last Sunday. And looked at a few past scenes with the knowledge of this season on my mind.

Someone posted a picture of Rehaboom's timeline for humanity/host's end and it really hit that machine foreshadowed Season 4 where there is a collapse around the 28/30 year mark...which it did. And the last dot was 125 years in the future which goes back to the dialogue from the Season 2 post credit scene.  So...well-played. 

Not even my favorite season, but I now feel like a rewatch on Season 3 myself. lol. 

Dolores-yes, s3 finale

Caleb-yes/no.

Please register in order to view this content

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I was not a huge fan of the second season of this show and always meant to catch up, so this is kind of outrageous. 

They're literally pulling the entire series from the service (and probably re-offering it as "FAST"-tier material later). This is insane.