Star Trek returns with streaming series

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Bryan Fuller steps back from Discovery. He's still writing the first two episodes, has plotted the whole first season and the network claims he will remain involved, but two of his lieutenants and proteges will apparently take over the showrunning. According to various different sources, the 'creative differences' with CBS involved scheduling (he already insisted they push the show to May to give it more time to be cast and polished) and budget.

I think it's a huge mistake, as Fuller has said for years he would drop everything else to come back and do Trek and I think he very much wants to. I'd love to believe he'll pull a David Lynch and return to the show, but as they've already lined up a hack (Akiva Goldsman) to become part of the mix I doubt it. Sad. This was a dream for many a Trekkie, myself included.

Edited by Vee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been saying from the beginning that this is just a disaster. It's been a disaster since day one. This is a money grab for CBS and that's it. They completely forgot about Star Trek's 50th anniversary even with a movie coming out. I know many were excited about Fuller's involvement, but the second I found out he wanted to do yet another prequel I lost interest. Then I feel they must've had creative differences since they delayed filming. 

Now we have to deal with a new producer and writer, clearly they're having casting trouble and nobody has a clue what's going on. Lost In Space comes out in 2018 and we already have a full (and very exciting) cast. I'm to the point where I don't even believe this show will meet the May deadline. We will see, but I have absolutely no excitement until I see the product. 

• Members

I think it's a money grab for CBS, yeah. But I don't think it ever was for Bryan Fuller, and that's why he quit the project. Going back to Trek after 15 years was his dream project. CBS originally wanted this show cranked out by next month, and he fought them on that.

The characters created, the season-long storyline and I suspect casting thus far (Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh, Doug Jones) are all his, though, as are the first two scripts which he wrote and the creative team he left in place BTS. So I am hopeful about that and as a Trek fan I intend to watch it (I also love the timeframe it's using, the era of "The Cage"), but I am deeply discouraged by how Fuller was treated and I do hope they go back to him. It wouldn't surprise me, given they actively attempted to mislead the press about his continuing involvement for fear of backlash.

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm just thrilled, because to the best of my knowledge the role she is taking on - "Number One" - is conceived of as the central lead of the show. That is a huge deal both for Star Trek and for her, and for television. Trek is a massive franchise.

Before departing to focus on his other show Bryan Fuller intended for the role to be cast with a woman of color. A friend of mine told me most of the casting thus far is all his, and I hope she was as well. I'm just so happy for her.

• Members

It's pretty cool they cast her, but I wish I didn't know because it will make her inevitable death on TWD expected.  This will probably be a better role considering her TWD role is pretty marginal.  If it is truly to be set in the era of The Cage then I hope they use that esthetic with the bright costumes and goofy phasers and stuff.   They probably won't but it would be cool if they did.    I just wish this show wasn't going to be on some out of left field streaming service because I don't feel like paying per month to watch just one show. 

• 4 weeks later...