Star Trek returns with streaming series

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Bryan Fuller discusses clashes with CBS - it sounds like his insistence on casting Sonequa Martin-Green and waiting for her TWD contract to end got him dismissed.

I had a feeling CBS stock director David Semel was not his choice. Edgar Wright would've been amazing on the pilot.

I will watch the show out of longstanding loyalty to the brand and liking what I've seen of the cast, crew and story Fuller helped assemble, but I'm pretty disgusted again.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Reading the article about Fuller's plans, I had to roll my eyes when he kept saying he was going to make the show into a sci-fi version of American Horror Story, but I think the idea of it being an anthology show wouldn't have been too bad. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This thing has had such a rocky road to the finish line and CBS' dumb new streaming service is the worst place for it, but the early word is good from last night's premiere. I hope it works out. The pilot airs on TV - on CBS - on Sunday night.

• Members

The loudest element of the 'general audience' on social media is angry old Trekkies who think Seth MacFarlane's The Orville - which is basically a TNG cosplay spoof which looks like it was made in 1991 for about ten grand - is 'the true new Star Trek' without all that messy social justice. That's not general audience, it's spamming.

You scratch the surface beyond their spamming of the most popular results on Twitter, or check other Trek boards which aren't reddit or PTV and you find a pretty engaged audience, especially at the long-running TrekBBS. But either way, Trekkies always hate any new Star Trek, they have since 1986. Then they still watch it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

From what I saw critical reaction was mixed and personally that's how I felt. I hate the new Klingon design which I feel limits the actors ability to emote and I found the story and dialogue to be very clunky but most new Star Trek series start medicocre and get better as time goes on. We haven't even met the cast yet! Next week is the true pilot so I'm keeping an open mind and hoping the show gets better in time. 

I will say based on es on what I saw I still don't see the need for this to be a prequel. It doesn't fit at all with TOS and the way Spock's father is being used feels false. Visually I feel this show could've been awesome set beyond Voyager.