Star Trek returns with streaming series

• Members

I am relived they fixed the mess they had on their hands with Discovery internationally as it was pulled less than 3 days before the newest season from Netflix. People were livid understandably as they had planned to push the premiere for months until Paramount Plus was available in Europe next year, at least now there is a Pluto option for these fans.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The CBS Trek renaissance has really come into its own with Lower Decks (featuring a hilarious Dawnn Lewis as the captain, as well as Jack Quaid and some other great leads) and now Strange New Worlds, the Captain Pike show, both of which basically put the previous two shows to shame. I enjoy things about Discovery and Picard despite their very rocky runs and Discovery has improved a lot since its inception, but the over-egging of everything and apparent micromanagement that have frequently plagued the first two shows don't seem evident at all in LD or SNW so far. SNW is also a throwback to classical episodic Trek, and it has really worked for them thoughtit also has running subplots. In times like ours now, a kind of neo-classicism in entertainment mixed with optimism and typical Trek sociopolitical relevance (like SNW pointedly using footage of January 6th to illustrate the coming Earth civil wars that have always been a part of Trek's history of the 21st century) is really welcome. just hope a finer balance between episodic and serialization can be struck in future with new shows, a la Deep Space Nine. 

I haven't seen Prodigy yet, the kids' show featuring Kate Mulgrew's return, but I hear decent things.

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Since this appears to the umbrella thread for other non-Picard Trek shows:

V excited for this, and the announced Lower Decks/Strange New Worlds crossover. IIRC from interviews the actors/characters on LD were chosen and designed so they could portray their characters in live-action if necessary, and it sounds like we'll be seeing Tawny Newsome and Jack Quaid (among others) doing that. No clue on if they appear on SNW via either holodeck recreation of the past or time travel.

• Members

I doubt they'll get him as he has largely withdrawn from Trek fandom (after many years of active involvement, to be fair) to focus on his other artistic pursuits, but I'd die if Avery Brooks made a voice appearance as Sisko the Emissary. As it is I will settle for Nana Visitor, Colm Meaney and/or Armin Shimerman as Quark. You can already see/hear JG Hertzler returning as Martok in the trailer, and see Sisko's father's restaurant.

More on the SNW/LD crossover:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Very excited for this. I know @DRW50 is a fan of hers too.

Carol Kane was a relentless delight throughout the run of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and is still going strong today. Strange New Worlds is also very, very easily the strongest of the new live-action Trek shows and had a very solid first season. I'm a little surprised Trek has never (to my knowledge) tapped Kane before.

There's also talk (from Kate Mulgrew) of a Kate Mulgrew show being in the works in addition to her voice role on the YA animated spinoff Prodigy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

So the episode with Tilly was a sort of pilot perhaps? I think the most interesting thing about it is that Tawny Newsome tweeted that she is part of the writers room on this new series. And if they still have the 32nd century sets etc. it makes sense to reuse, though I would have preferred a different time frame though I hope it is more like the Magicians that the show runner worked on as a story editor than Nancy Drew or Tom Swift that she was attached to in the past.

• Members

I don't hold out a lot of faith in the quality of the show bc of how rocky a road Discovery has been as opposed to SNW and Terry Matalas' Picard Season 3, and the showrunner's past credits do not fill me with confidence. But I do like Tilly and Tawny Newsome so I'll give it a chance as it's Trek.

I'm much more invested in SNW and presumably a soon-to-be-greenlit Picard spinoff with Seven, Jack, Sidney LaForge, etc.

Edited by Vee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

As I suspected: The Section 31 series no one really wants is now a movie.

They could never have secured Yeoh for a full series after this past year, and fan response to DSC's obsession with Section 31 has been wan at best despite Yeoh being popular. I'm fine with this though; I love Yeoh even if a little of Mirror Georgiou goes a long way for me. So a movie is probably the best format possible. Focus on SNW and the Terry Matalas spinoff.

• Members

Section 31 got deeply irritating after awhile but I usually like Discovery more often than not so this works for me. I'm super interested in this, mostly because of Michelle Yeoh and just it being Trek in general. This idea works better as a movie anyway and I feel like these types of movies are the type of thing they should be focused on anyway film wise. They got who I think most fans agree is best director they have TV wise shooting it, so that's a plus. I'll be interested to see who they pull talent wise for the rest of the cast. I'm sure there's a lot of people who wouldn't mind being in a film with her or doing Star Trek but weren't interested in signing up for a series.

This also presumably frees up a spot tv wise which I'm guessing most fans are hoping is the Legacy/25th century show. I think they should focus on the shows moving the franchise forward. If they want to do these reunions or circle back to old ideas for a bit, they can do one of this movies for Paramount Plus.

• Members

I liked his found footage movie (IIRC) but his fascination with spinning the camera upside down in every single shot on DSC became a running joke for me long ago. I have a lot of feelings about the wildly varying talent at DSC, I'm sorry lol.