• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thought i'd check in with @AdelaideCate007 and anyone else who watches SNW:

The premiere was very solid. But Carol Kane immediately stole the whole thing with an accent that vaguely suggests her roles in The Princess Bride or Taxi to me; I love her addition and almost can't believe she took to spouting classic Trek technobabble as easily as she's ever done anything else onscreen. The mysterious nature of her character's species is also very interesting. Given the backstory (camouflaged among humans for centuries, etc.) I choose to believe Pelia is canonically Lillian from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt lol.

Maybe it's me but Chapel and Dr. M'Benga have real chemistry of the specific kind. I know Chapel's future path is fairly mapped out not only with her torch for Spock but for her driving focus on her ex/future? husband from Majel Barrett's original debut episode on TOS - I love the reinvention of the character, but it's still very strange at times connecting this Chapel to the often milksop character of the original show. Perhaps she is beaten down by life and tragedy in the interim. But you wonder if there isn't room for M'Benga to be the one man in Chapel's life we didn't know about.

The time gap in production is especially noticeable in how much the little girl from last season has grown since last seen, lol.

Lovely dedication to Nichelle Nichols at the end.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I definitely noticed that too. It was quite palpable. So much so that in my head canon I'm starting to think of the possibility that maybe she and M'Benga finally hooked up in the 2270s after The Motion Picture, perhaps serving together on the USS Hopeship and that's why Chapel is no longer on the Enterprise in TWOK lol

Speaking of Roger Korby, Chapel's fiancee from What Are Little Girls Made of... (This is more my speculation than spoiler but in tags just in case I'm on to something)

Please register in order to view this content

I did like the touch of Spock starting to play the Lute.

And yes, Carol Kane stole the whole thing. I'm not familiar with her (I last saw The Princess Bride nearly 30 years ago so don't remember her role in that), but was very impressed. Loved how her character figured out what was going on so quickly.

• Members

Wow - Paramount is cancelling the animated spinoff Star Trek: Prodigy (already in post-production on Season 2) and pulling it from the service in a matter of days. Also going is that weird Grease show that literally just aired.

Supposedly Prodigy will be shopped and hopefully aired elsewhere. I haven't even finished the first season. This from Paramount which very recently was priding itself as the home of all Trek, the one jewel in the crown that's kept them going.

It's a very strange, dark time for this industry. Studios and streaming outlets are crashing, slashing and burning desperate to keep afloat. We all know about WB/Discovery and what it's doing to HBO, TCM, etc. but this is starting to look like another frantic fire sale for CBS/Paramount, which is allegedly struggling to survive like so many other overheated would-be streaming outlets. There's a lot of talk about Netflix acquiring Paramount's library and programming in future. I think I will happen eventually.

I think the upcoming/ongoing live-action Trek shows are safe for now, but God knows where they will end up airing down the road.

• Members

If you want to finish S1 of Prodigy (and I do), do it now - it's allegedly leaving Paramount as soon as Monday. According to The Wrap it was actually one of their higher rated shows. This is another streamer crash and fire sale.

• Members

@Vee 

I was travelling and missed the first week, but just got caught up. I've thought this season started off really well. Last week's episode was a legit great hour of television.

I'm loving Carol Kane and think she's a great addition. Interested in her whole mysterious race and vibe. I hope we learn more.

I agree on Chapel. Maybe it's just me, but I find her really dynamic and interesting on this show. I know we all love Majel and her roles, but I kind of hate that we know where Chapel ends up and that she becomes less important over time. It's one of the big downers of the series for me.

Really interested in the rest of the season, especially whatever this musical episode they're teasing is and the Lower Decks crossover.

I haven't gotten around to looking deeply into the Prodigy thing but that sucks since I thought it was popular. How much do you think it might affect the live action shows? I feel like they'll still do Academy since they've already committed, started work for it, and have the sets. I'm interested to see where this leaves any Legacy series, even though I still think that's probably a go too.

• Members

I think Legacy will happen eventually, post-strike and post-streamer shuffle. My question is where these shows will all continue. I do not think Paramount is long for this world so I suspect they may all end up at Netflix. We'll see.

I am sailing the high seas to finish S1 of Prodigy. It's already gone from Paramount. A travesty.

I've been booked on some big jobs keeping me busy but I will be catching up on SNW shortly.

• Members

I thought so, lol.  Thanks for the confirmation, @Vee.

Like I said, I don't see much of a future for Paramount + - or any of the bigger, more expensive streaming services as they exist at the moment.  For one thing, I think they all grew too big - both in number and in scope, for lack of a better word - and too fast.  Someone announced, "Streaming is the future!," so everyone and their cousin hopped aboard and created their own streaming service.  Unfortunately, for cable subscribers who were looking to "cut the cord," because their monthly bills were becoming outrageous, asking them to subscribe to all these services (Paramount +, Disney +, (HBO)Max, Peacock, Netflix, Hulu, etc.) wound up defeating their purpose.

• 2 weeks later...