Blood & Oil: Discussion Thread

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched it. I liked Don Johnson.

It was a bit ... formulaic, but it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. I sort of liked it.

It has potential. The lead women give off the most potential. The vibe they want to give off is Dynasty having a baby with Dallas, but it's nowhere near either of them. Visually the show is nice.

IDK. I wasn't wowed but I didn't think it sucked. We'll see how it goes.

• Members

I don't think they're trying to do JR in this show at all. Hap (Don Johnson) seems to be a shrewd businessman, but he was generally portrayed as a good, honest man. His son is an !@#$%^&*] with daddy issues, but I don't see any comparisons to JR Ewing in the character besides his villainous streak.

IDK, I thought it was a solid opener, and it kept me engaged the entire hour. I'm just tired of shows that try to cram a hundred things into the pilot. This was a very refreshing change from that, and that probably colors my opinion. I adore almost anything that starts with a slower pace, really. After the episode was over, I felt like we'd gotten from point A to point B without important beats playing out off-screen or being completely ignored, which is one of my hugest TV pet peeves. Compare that to Empire, which I love, but they came back with a S2 premiere that was already moving at 100 mph with new characters rushed into the action with little introduction and multiple story beats playing out in quick succession with poor development. I'm not hating on Empire in the least because it looks like that may end up being that show's style and tone, but I'm happy to have something that's on the opposite end of the spectrum, however long it lasts.

I'm also a staunch supporter of any network drama that eschews the overdone season-long mystery/suspense plot that almost always builds up tons of momentum in season one then falls flat on its ass in season 2 as the series stumbles to a very miserable demise by season 4 or 5.

• Members

I wonder how many episodes will run period. This wasn't a ratings hit by any means.

As to Hap being a good and honest guy, weren't he and his wife basically trying to syphon oil off a Native American reservation? That's pretty low in my book.  Also, the one guy mentioned Hap had swindled him. Wasn't there even talk of being in bed with the devil? Not sure about that last part, my attention was drifting.  The one thing J.R. always had was charm and limits. I'm not feeling either of those things here.  

I do like that the show is set in the Dakotas. I give a point to any show not set in NY, LA or Chicago.

• Members

"Good" and "honest" really aren't the right words, on second thought. I just think that if he was meant to be a JR-type character, it would have been more obvious in the first episode. We mainly saw him in good association with the Lefevres, and he reined Wick in several times as well when, if he was more villainous, he could've have just let it ride. I guess it remains to be seen the type of role he's supposed to play here. The daughter shows up next week, so it'll be interesting to see how she fits into all of it. Hopefully we get some good family scenes.

• Members

I loved it. It was well-paced, made sense, beautifully shot in arresting locales, and delivered a great cliffhanger. Really, they had me at that opening car accident/flashback montage. Of course people will hate it, because it wasn't schizophrenic and because it actually tried to be a little less glitzy and a little more gritty. Mostly, I'm happy it wasn't trying to be funny, witty and cute (like most ABC soaps do). I even liked Chace Crawford. Did he have us all fooled cos of GOSSIP GIRL? lmao

• Members

The absurdity of that was addressed by the character himself and made for a fun little joke moment. It also provided a nice tense scene.

Exactly to every. single. point. In fact, the show didn't even try to set up a J.R. Ewing or too similar a family dynamic to DALLAS (so far).

Either 2 or 3. They literally kicked her out by episode 2. It's all in an article I linked on the previous pages.

Having said this, ABC kicked her out because they wanted more OMG! moments. So, bye!DALLAS, hello!SCANDAL.

• Members

Amber Valletta doesn't strike me as leading lady material, but I'll give her a few episodes.

Don Johnson is good as the character so far, we'll see.

Chace Crawford surprised me by being a lot more "charismatic" than I remember him from GG.

Overall, it was an okay show, I'm going to keep watching, for now....

YRBB, the locations were really gorgeous. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived