Bruce Jenner Interview With Diane Sawyer

SoapDope

• Members

Right. If someone includes sports figures/celebrities in the definition of hero, than I certainly think CJ qualifies. Not because of her connection to sports, but under that expanded definition of the word. If one considers a hero to only be someone who risks their life to save/defend another, that's a different thing.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see less of an attention whore, and more of a person unavoidably thrust into the spotlight. She of all of them always tried to keep a low-profile in public and had a general disdain for paps and press attention. Coming out as trans at this point, there's really no way she could have done it on the low... though she tried before mega E! stardom.

• Members

I hadn't heard of Bruce in ages….I am not a fan of the K family so I had never seen the show….but Bruce had to be relevant again after all these years….yes he wanted the attention…and he got it…hopefully his 15 of fame is over with and he won't be mentioned again…..Unless ESPY awards decides to honor him/her again next year….LOL..

• Members

He's not a hero by any stretch of the imagination and to give him that award was a slap in the face to countless others who have put their lives on the line...or people who face way more important and difficult hurdles that he does.

The fact that he accepted it speaks volumes about the type of person he is and what an attention whore he is.

• Members

Doesn't matter if it was B-grade sports channel DRW...its still the principle of the matter. The core of what makes a "hero". I just think it absolutely cheapens the meaning.

I keep waiting for him to disappear and crawl back into his hole but like all attention whores he's not going to. I just saw the commercial on Bravo for his upcoming show and I'm sure it will continue to be not PC for anyone to say anything even slightly negative about Bruce. Cuz God forbid that anyone disagree with his decision to redefine himself as woman or question whether he deserves any type of praise...let alone and award.

It just makes me absolutely sick how even the littlest thing and people on the twitter decide to tear that person apart or compel them to "apologize" for something they shouldn't have to apologize for.

• Members
  • Members

But wouldn't that damn anyone who has ever won any type of award from any organization? What about all the people who just write a few checks every once in a while and get an award so they can get their picture in the paper or get drunk, while the everyday neighbor who buys extra food for other people or tries to help unwanted or abandoned pets or what have you gets nothing?

I care more about the heroes who get screwed out of money and benefits than I do about someone not getting an award from a cable channel. Those people aren't being hurt by Caitlyn Jenner or by ESPN.

• Members

I'm sorry but I just can't get on board with this "cheapening" narrative. I didn't realize the word "hero" was so sacred. You know what? I refuse to even entertain the notion by giving examples. You can google almost ANYTHING as an adjective with the word "hero" tacked to the end of it. If we're questioning the heroicism of a high-profile athlete going public as transgendered, then please tell me where is all the outrage over grown ass men being called "heroes" because they can run real fast with a football in their arms.

You can disagree all you want, but voicing that disagreement is just purely self-serving. What benefit is there to you or anyone else telling a transgendered person that you "disagree" with what he or she has decided to do with his or her own body? What possible good comes out of that? Voicing support is one thing - it helps people, and not just the person in question - but negativity about something that has no bearing on your life whatsoever is pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived