• Members

We're still waiting for some potential new news tonight from the same source who broke the details of the Showtime deal in October, but for now there's this new interview with legendary composer Angelo Badalamenti, who's composed all the great music of TP along with many of David Lynch's other films, working closely with Lynch (and singer Julee Cruise) on many of the classic themes. Tomorrow night in L.A. there will a musical tribute concert to Lynch, featuring much of Lynch and Badalamenti's works re-interpreted by everyone from Moby to Karen O., Donovan and Duran Duran - I wish I could be there, but I hope it leaks online. (And yes, Julee Cruise will apparently be there too.)

Anyway, here's some of the pertinent material from this piece with Badalamenti:

Also:

Edited by Vee

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So here is the latest dish over at the Dugpa forums, with a grain of salt, but from the same source on the initial deal:

I think it will all go ahead and I highly doubt it won't go ahead in time for airing in 2016 - Showtime is too deep in planning for this. But it's just a nuance issue.

Edited by Vee

• Members

On an unrelated note, since I know Carl liked the last interview of this ilk, here is a new interview with Andy Burns, who's written Wrapped in Plastic - no relation to the legendary fanzine - for the Pop Classics imprint, which sounds like a fascinating exploration of TP's cultural context at the time, the Lynch/Frost partnership and its roots in soap opera. Burns also has a lot to say about Jennifer Lynch and her work on Laura's secret diary, and how much of an influence that had on FWWM and Sheryl Lee. He also reminds me of something I'd forgotten, which is that when ABC moved the show to Saturdays for Season 2 it was literally up against the Golden Girls and Empty Nest audience.

This interview was conducted by Joel Bocko, who did the fantastic and exhaustive Journey Through Twin Peaks video essay I have pimped here many a time. Watch it, it's on YouTube!

• Members

Sigh

Kimmy Robertson's Facebook statuses (https://www.facebook.com/kimmyr1)

Dear Showtime....I hope you're happy.
P.S. you really really suck.

When you get a degree in entertainment business....when they hand you the diploma...do you hand them your balls?

Twin Peaks Book @TwinPeaksBook

Just heard some very bad news yall. Let's hope @Netflix would like to bring #TwinPeaks back. Pray that this can still happen, somewhere.

brad dukes @brad_d_

Just heard #TwinPeaks is now not happening on @SHO_Network - cmon @netflix. PICK THIS UP. #SavePeaks @SHO_PR

brad dukes @brad_d_

Not fooling guys. The deal is kaput I am told, if there ever was one. #TwinPeaks

Edited by alexisfan07

• Members

That's pretty insane. And very, very unprecedented for Showtime or most cable networks, which publicly committed themselves to this in extremely visible ways. You don't do what they did if you're not going to do something, ever.

Still, I'm not convinced this is the end of the line. Showtime knows that if they don't want the show Netflix will take it in a heartbeat as will others. Many would. I'm going to wait and see how everything shakes out. This is definitely going to go somewhere strange, maybe not wonderful and strange... but I'm not ruling it out.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Lynch is tweeting about it now:

David Lynch @DAVID_LYNCH · 4m 4 minutes ago

Dear Twitter Friends, Showtime did not pull the plug on Twin Peaks.

After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done.

This weekend I started to call actors to let them know I would not be directing. Twin Peaks may still be very much alive at Showtime.

I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently.

Edited by alexisfan07

• Members

I know this isn't what anyone wants but assuming Lynch is indeed completely out, keep in mind Lynch only directed six episodes of the original series. But obviously these are also known as some of the best (if not, the best) episodes of the series.

Assuming Lynch did indeed co-write the scripts with Frost, is it possible we could get a director (or multiple) that could handle the directing piece of it with Frost there to guide them?